Texas Jet Boat Fiberglass Repair

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Lucas H.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Texas Jet Boat Fiberglass Repair

Post by Lucas H. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:09 pm

bateau-webmaster wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 am
Lucas H. wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:16 am
more progress, but need more advice. i almost forgot about the fact that i ripped off that corner piece. i cut a new one and i have it mocked up. i need you guys to help me buy what i need to glass it in, along with the support piece. i also will be putting a support piece on the other side too.
Here is the new piece cut and in place with support piece. i need to glass this in.

Luke
Luke,

Personally I would say tape it in. You will want to bed the seams in with thickened epoxy, and smooth the excess to fill the gap, make fillets along all bottom seams, and cover with tape, or scrap glass. If you have to buy wide cloth, I'd go with 12 oz, and get 1 yard, and cut pieces to fit.
when you say thickened epoxy, will that fairing compound work?

Luke

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Fairing compound is just that. It is made to be easy to sand. It does not have structural strength. Most of the time when folks say puddy they mean wood flower and epoxy mixed together. Depending on what you are doing you can add one of the glass products, milled fibres, silica ect, to get what you are needing. If you look at the products sold here they tell you what each one does.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:21 am

Fuzz wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:33 pm
Fairing compound is just that. It is made to be easy to sand. It does not have structural strength. Most of the time when folks say puddy they mean wood flower and epoxy mixed together. Depending on what you are doing you can add one of the glass products, milled fibres, silica ect, to get what you are needing. If you look at the products sold here they tell you what each one does.
Yep, you definitely want a structural bond there. I'd say the wood flour should be enough. if you want it seriously heavy duty, you could add some milled glass, adding silica will add air, and sandability without sacrificing much strength. Keep in mind adding milled glass will make it harder to sand.

Lucas H.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lucas H. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks for the reply's guys. i am really new at all this, so i am not sure what i need to buy to make this work. I'm guessing wood flour, some epoxy, fiberglass, resin. i hate to sound like a total newbie, but can you tell me what i need to buy, and provide a link. i have no clue what i need or where to get it. i just know how to put the work in on it... again, thanks.

Luke

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Hey Lucus,
Everybody has to learn to glass. We all start knowing very little and go from there so do not sweat the not knowing part. Ask all the questions you need to. Somebody on this forum will have the answer 99% of the time. A quick start is to call the folks here, tell them what you are doing and they will help get you what you need. Then when you have questions post them and we will try to help.
Fuzz

Lucas H.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lucas H. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:14 pm

i tried to call, but it says the number is not hooked up or is not working at this time.

Luke

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Luke, Are you trying to reach us?? Call me at work: 772.770.1225 or my mobile at: 772.631.4665. Jeff

Lucas H.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lucas H. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 pm

I tried that first number but got that response. I'll try back on Monday

Luke

Lucas H.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lucas H. » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:50 am

So after fixing the side i ripped off, i had to check the other side to see if it was rotten too. it was. so i just did the same, cut out new piece and put a brace under it. i ordered some wood flour and will fill in the gaps and prime and paint. i will also put some non slick on it so if people step on it, they wont slip.

Luke

Lucas H.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lucas H. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:21 am

I got those new pieces epoxied in this weekend. i used epoxy with wood flour i got from Jamie. came out pretty good, this stuff is awesome. bonds really good. i also finished prepping the hole to accept the intake. so next weekend i can install the intake and paint the new areas in the back and be done with the actual boat and move on to the engine and wiring.
i haven't sanded in these pics, but i did sand it smooth. now i can fair and get ready for paint.

Luke