Sintes 21 Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Sintes 21 Rebuild

Post by narfi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 am

There are two types I have used, one uses an air pump you would place in a fresh air area, the other uses shop air + a big filter. If using the shop air you need to make sure that the compressor is fed fresh air (cant be in the same room as you) and it has the cfm to feed both the mask and any tools you are using.

The one I use at work now uses shop air, but my "little" compressor couldn't feed my face and properly atomize the paint. I think you were planning to roll though? If so, you only need the cfm for breathing.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:57 am

Here is a quick Amazon search find. I didn't see the one I've been using which was only a few hundred dollars but required a compressor and filter system already in place.

SAS Safety 9800-35 One-Man Opti-Fit Full-face Mask Supplied-Air System, 1/4-Horsepower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AQBA6Y/re ... 0AbAAVQQPA

One thing I really like about forced air is you don't need to shave or have a tight seal like you do with respirators. With positive air flow your face stays cool and dry and fresh. It's hard to describe how glorious it feels if you are used to stinky resperators.......
Protects your eyes too(assuming the full mask) which are mucus membrane and a gateway for those chemicals into your body.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:11 am

Could always go with the full body suit and replace the fan with shop air supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Inflatabl ... _2b_a_p-20

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:00 am

Looks like Violet in Willy Wonka!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:14 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:11 am
Could always go with the full body suit and replace the fan with shop air supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Inflatabl ... _2b_a_p-20

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You owe me a new keyboard :lol: This one has morning coffee all over it now :P

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks Narfi. The paint is the only thing I mess with that bothers me so I am not sure I can justify that set up but who knows. For now I will just plan on using any two part paint when I can have lots of ventilation. The weather is warming up enough that I will be able to open the doors in the next month or so, at least that is my hope.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:12 am

Getting ready to mount my windless and need to coat the bare wood to protect it. It dawned on me that the chain and rode running through the hole would wear the epoxy off so I made up a piece of glass to line the hole.
I made up a glass tube sort of like what Peter and Topwater did for their scuppers.
Now I just have to hope I can get it off the mold. :wink:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 am

Yep, that hole will take an absolute flogging, so the glass protecting tube should be about the same thickness as the hull. :wink:

The head of the shackle bolt will want to get caught. Are you going to build glass flares at each end of the tube?
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 pm

glossieblack wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 am
Yep, that hole will take an absolute flogging, so the glass protecting tube should be about the same thickness as the hull. :wink:

The head of the shackle bolt will want to get caught. Are you going to build glass flares at each end of the tube?
To tell the truth I had not thought about flaring the end but now I will give it a go. Thanks for your input on that :wink:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:20 am

It just occurred to me that my earlier comment about a shackle possibly snagging was incorrect. Since when did anyone try to pull a shackle through a windlass. :oops:
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.