Sintes 21 Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sintes 21 Rebuild

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm

I am sure heat would have helped but it is too late now. If I lived down south I would have laid it out on the driveway and got it to all lay flat. Working with it still curled up is a pain.

Good move John, and thanks Craig the Sintes will be ready and waiting for your next trip 8)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:50 pm

what’s the plan with London’s Legacy?
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:44 pm

No plan at this point. we will see what the future holds.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 am

Got the rubrail installed.
I was pretty sure it would not go around the sharp edge at the transom but I went ahead and tried it as there was enough extra material. Just as I feared it would make the turn but looks like crap all puckered out.
So I think I will end the rail just short of the transom unless someone has an idea :doh:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:39 am

Terminate looks like the best option. The rub rail doesn't look like it would help where it wraps around the corner anyway. I like the look though.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:53 am

What if you cut a wedge out, right on the inside of the corner, but not all the way through? Call it a Kasilof Kerf. Worth a try if you are going to terminate it anyway. Dont think it will really work, but might... :roll:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:12 am

I think you might have cut the rigid backing strip a little short. The keyway that holds the flex on needs to almost touch the 90’ corner on both directions. About 1-1/2” short or less. Try pulling off the 4-5’ of the flex and add some scrap pieces of rigid backing. I’d try that before kerfing, that’s kinda permanent. You might have to trim back the existing backing so your add-on rigid strips can receive at least 3 screws.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am

dont know if this will help, but here are a couple of pictures of mine. I believe I did as capeman mentioned, it's been almost 10 years :doh: :doh:
Anyway you can see I got the top part looking good, but the bottom I had to file/grind the bulge off. You can't see it normally so I'm happy with it.
Anyway hope it helps you? btw this I believe is the taco rubrail.

Completed: FL14, OD18

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 am

Thank you for the ideas guys. I have a couple feet of extra material so I will try a few things before cutting the rail back.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:29 am

Fuzz wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 am
Got the rubrail installed.
I was pretty sure it would not go around the sharp edge at the transom but I went ahead and tried it as there was enough extra material. Just as I feared it would make the turn but looks like crap all puckered out.
So I think I will end the rail just short of the transom unless someone has an idea :doh:
Hull modifications necessary.

:lol:

Show me a profile picture of the rubrail and I will tell you what to do. Basically, you'll need to put a relief in it right on the corner. Knife cut sorta thing..or you can try it on your own.. The relief would remove all the 90 degree sections that head back into the corner. I removed a rubrail on the old Starfire and they had relief cuts in it and it took a hard 90. I even have the stuff sitting out back, so I can take a picture if you like

Otoh, the rubrail looks a little silly in the wraparound, but it will not fall off that way...oh, I think you just haven't cut it off yet, so it looks silly
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495