28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by narfi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Just curious, what is the additional cost in consumables for vacume bagging once you are setup?
peel ply, bleeder and bag are all consumables I assume?

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:25 am

all in it is about $18 per yard for film, release, breather and tape. Jim will add the pleats. Hope to get it done today.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am

Start with the vac low enough to move the bag over the tough spots. I have to do the little Whaler same way, but using the 6oz.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 pm

SIDE 2 DONE. WORKED MUCH BETTER WITH PLEATE ALONG CHINE. STILL A FEW SMALL PLACES TO REPAIR. ON TO THE FAIRING!

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Sure looks good from the photo. Nice work.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:24 am

How did it turn out Mike?

Lessons? I would have probably run my vac from the other side over media; did you get some penalty with the vac on the glass?

Your poly compound could be used for any moulds - just a thought.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:43 pm

When I did the vacuum it was not against the glass. I had a layer of breather fabric and directly under each port there was a stack of about 6 layers of breather. This provided good distribution of the vacuum and a good result.

next time that i do this I will cut the glass along the chines. even with pleats, it did not pull up well and I had to grind out bad glass. Other than that, I was very happy with the end result.

Since the last post I have repaired the areas along the chines. This was followed by several heavy coats of spray fair. I played with this stuff a little on the last boat but decided to give it a real trial with this one. I used a 2.8 tip and thinned the first coat by 25% to make it thin enough to get down in all the small holes. This was followed by 2 coats that were thinned 10-15 %. I let it dry overnight and then started sanding. I played around a little but finally ended up using a quick light sand with 40 grit just to knock the top off then going back with 80 . This stuff sands much easier than any fairing compound which makes a long board not such a pain. I played around on the sides with using a putty knife to spread on unthinned compound. It when on easily, stayed in place and was easy to sand as well. All in all I was very happy with it. It filled the small holes well and provided a flat finished surface.

When I started sanding the bracket which I had faired with standard fairing compound it was still gummy on the sandpaper even though it had been on for a week. I have never encountered this before. I believe it was the last of a bucket but nothing else was unusual about it. I spread more of the same brand from a new bucket and it performed as expected. Well now I had a real mess. I scraped and sanded for 2 days until I got it all off and down to glass again. I refaired it again and haven't been able to get back to it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Except for the bracket I am ready to spray super build primer. Will follow that with a 120 sand and then finish primer. Here are a few visuals

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice mike! Is it alexseal? Looks great. Nice progress. Not sure there is a reason other than ratio. I find the smaller the batch I do the greater risk of this happening.

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:00 am

High Build primer on and sanded. Will need to fair a few places and then finish primer. Trying to decide if I should do the sides or wait until topside construction is done. Would be easy now if I could avoid messing up.

Browndog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:03 am

Looking really good!