28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by Fuzz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Man you are a serious boat builder :!:
If you have time catch us up on the Bertram and tell us about the other project also :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Mbiggerstaff, great progress and beautiful work!! Jeff

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks for the advice on the seat Jim. I had planned on leaning the backreast but will also add a slope to the seat.

The story on the Carolina boat goes like this. It is a classic downeast built plank over frame made in harkens island. It is 25’ and will be powered by a Cummings 4bt with a jackshaft to a merc bravo duo prop outdrive. The original owner bought the hull and finished it to its present state but just didn’t have time to finish it. My plan is to complete it and sell it. It will be a beautiful boat but it is a little too small for my needs

My completed Bertram is great. I have reproped it and it now cruses at 24kts at 75% power. The present engine was slow to spin up which the Yanmar is know for. I added a nitrous oxide system to it this summer. Now when I hit the throttle and black smoke starts pouring out, I hit the N2O and it shoots off like a rocket. It is an amazing change

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 am

Who built the hull on Harker's Island? Willis Boat Works is about the only one left on the island.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:14 am

Marshall Moser wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 am
Who built the hull on Harker's Island? Willis Boat Works is about the only one left on the island.
Willis is far from the only one left on the island, thank God. I'm also curious as to who designed that hull.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:29 pm

I never knew you could run nitrous on a Diesel. So you cruise faster on one engine then the original with two inboards. Very cool!

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:56 pm

So, can I add a shot of nitrous to my Yamaha F70s and put my semi-planing cat into full planing mode?

jk, but the wine made me ask!

Cool.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 am

The carolina boat was built by Billy Dupree of Outer Banks Boatworks.

I had never heard of nitrous on a boat either but after some research discovered that is is used by a lot of diesel truckers and diesel hot rodders. It only works if you have excess fuel that is leaving the engine unburned. I throttle down, hit the nitrous and as soon as it get to full boost I turn it off. its maybe 3-5 seconds worth.

I got the entire deck fitted and a lot of sanding below decks done over the weekend. Ready to see if my measurements for the helm/cabin and seats are accurate. Hope to get them in the boat over the next couple of days.

swglenn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swglenn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Have you looked into propane injection on diesel engines? There are several companies offering itfor diesel cars and trucks. Some use it for increased pulling power and others for increased mileage.I don't own any diesels except my lawn tractor and have no direct knowledge of its use.

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:06 am

I did look into propane as well but decided to try nitrous first. Decided to try the less explosive option