28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by Eric1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:47 am

Keep at it! It's looking great!!

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:50 am

The glass work continues but had to take some time off boat work to go fishing.

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:57 am

Do not have any pictures tonight just an update. Flow was bearing down on us and I needed the trailer to get my first project off the lift at the coast and safe at home. In order to do that I had to clear out the shop. Since I was moving things with chain falls I went ahead and put the console and seat in the boat. Glassed them in while the storm was raging. Started working on supports for the hard top. Plan to build the hardtop into the boat rather than using aluminum. Also doing a few things to the 1st boat. Decided to go after a little more horsepower since I up sized the props and am adding a propane system. Had to tap into the freshwater cooling side of the engine to get hot water to the regulator to vaporize the LP adequately. Also had to build a box to hold 2 40lb propane tanks as I did not want them rolling around offshore. It is a really neat system. The propane servo doesn’t open until I get enough boost generated and enough vacuum thru the turbo. With these 2 things there is no way for propane to flow unless the engine is under load. The total flow of propane is adjustable but should be about 1lb per 10 gallons for an additional 50-100 hp. I normally burn about 60 gallons per trip so it should work out about right. I’m also going to install a larger thru Hull for the engine th get more sea water and see if it won’t run a little cooler. Also thinking about removing the Bertram windshield and using strata glass instead. There is so much metal in the windshield that it seems like I’m always looking around a crossmember to see something. I thought I had it right but it should have been 6” higher. Will try and get some pictures uploaded soon

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:11 am

Yes please on the pictures. You have one heck of a project there.

topwater

Post by topwater » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:35 am

Nitrous and propane ....awesome 8O
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:34 pm

You are doing this for a little more HP to get the boat out of the hole? Are you still running the Yanmar 370 in it?