1984 Grady 242 Caribbean Transom Repair (+ other stuff)

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1984 Grady 242 Caribbean Transom Repair (+ other stuff)

Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:19 am

Cabosil or silica (same thing) is a good thickener!! And yes, remove all screws!! Good progress IpswichGrady!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:54 am

Screws should be removed. Fill the holes with epoxy.

I recommend taking a bit the size of the thread and drilling out the hole to help ensure full full, but it’s probably not needed.

Cabosil is another filler. Wood flour is inexpensive and recommended by JM bit cabosil could be used just as easily. Fallguy’s reasoning makes sense but lots of boats are built with the wood flour.

wyomatt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wyomatt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Hello Ipswichgrady,
It looks like we are in the same boat literally. Tons of work on these Gradys. It will so worth it when its done. I wanted to ask you a question? on your rear bulkhead. The bulk head in the bilge area that the knee braces ran through. Did the bulkhead piece run the full width of the boat? Mine stopped at the far knee brace stringer support on the starboard side.

Thanks,
Matt

IpswichGrady
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by IpswichGrady » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 pm

Yes.... went all the way across. I bet that Grady back then would piece things together. From what I’ve seen I wouldn’t be surprised.

You are going much deeper than me. Maybe I think I’m going deep enough... maybe I don’t want to keep digging for fear of what I will find. Unlike some of the builds I have followed here these guys are serious builders and have all the tools and facilities not to mention the know-how. If I didn’t have to work like a shade tree mechanic outside under shrink wrap to stay dry maybe I’d have gone all in. I think I’ll be good based on what i have seen.

I do agree... when all repaired it will be a cool boat!

IpswichGrady
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by IpswichGrady » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Here are a few pics...

This is the new transom epoxied to the skin of the boat

The transom with some thickened fillet around the edges

The transom tabbed in

The top pic was a beautiful hot day. I had pealed back the shrink wrap which made it easy for my son and I to man-handle the transom into place after we applied the epoxy glue to the skin and the transom prior to squeezing it together. Don't worry, the top was clamped and on the outer side of the boat there were 2x4s to even spread some pressure. Only the outer fiberglass skin was malleable ... the inch and a half wood transom was not bending.

The fillet pic and the tabbing pic were done on a rainy day.

Question... should I cover the whole inner side of the transom with a layer of biax to seal and add strength? or just a few layer of epoxy to seal it all up water tight? Stringers are next!

Oh.... A total rookie problem... I made a mess on the deck with some epoxy. How can I clean it up? Of course it is cured :(

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:48 am

To clean up a sander is the tool.

For the transom wood it needs to be covered with at least one layer of glass. Two layers of 12oz biax would not be over kill.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:32 am

I agree with Fuzz, go two layer of 12 oz biax!!! Jeff

IpswichGrady
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by IpswichGrady » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:11 am

Will do... I’ll lay down some glass. It just so happens that I just received my order of 17oz biax. I also have some 1708 left over from a friend. What would be my best move? 2 layers of my biax? Or could I maybe go with one layer of the 1708? I want the proper coverage/strength... would one way use less epoxy?

Also, as a rookie my epoxy skills are such that I think I am using a lot (maybe more than necessary) in my attempt to wet out the fiberglass. I have noticed some “pooling” of resin. So what do people think? I’ll just get better with time and experience? Or am I doing something systematically wrong?

Thanks

IpswichGrady
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by IpswichGrady » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Update.... don’t have enough 1708 so using my biax.

When laying up 2 layers you want to put the second layer over the first when it’s not fully cured... correct? And do you let it cure a little before you do layer 2 or... do you jump right in and put them down right after the other?

Thanks

IpswichGrady
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by IpswichGrady » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 am

Picture of the transom tabbed in and 2 layers of 17oz biax to seal it up.

I have to admit, fiberglassing is trickier than I thought... especially as a rookie who had an idea how it would go but never actually had done it (vertical laminating that is... with a tab element added to just stress me out a little more!). I used a ton of epoxy wetting the 2 layers out... I'm thinking close to 3/4 of my gallon? I really should have paid more attention for my own reference. I know it wasn't a full gallon but I do know that the gallon is gone! I learned that preparation is important. I had issues with some bubbles which I attribute to not making the surface smooth enough.

My next step will be to trim along the top and then I think I might use up some scrap fiberglass I have and lay it along the top to be anal and seal up everything.

So.. comments?