DAYTRIPs Bertram 28 Strech

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: DAYTRIPs Bertram 28 Strech

Post by Fuzz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Very interesting job you have happening. So are you planning on flipping the hull after you get the new addition done :doh:

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:13 am

Fuzz, I will basically do exactly what I did with the last hull. Flip it, grind the gelcoat off the existing hull, then add two skins of glass over the running surface. Main difference being I need to add 4 skins to the extension first to get thickness required. The two skins over the running surface will tie it in completely. That’s the theory anyway.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan and one that has a proven track record. I am sure many of us are looking forward to watching this all happen.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:48 am

So this is what the revised hull looks like on paper. One thing that I never have been wild about is the shear line on the 28. It is an arc that is continuous from bow to Stern. I prefer it to break. My favorite it the line of a meritt where it is a gentle s curve if you will. What I have done is straightened the last 10’. I measured From the chine to the shear at a point 5’5 forward of the existing transom. That is 37.5 inches. Then I measured up that same distance at the new transom location and set the top of my mold there. Basically same distance from chine to shear at transom and 10’ forward. It won’t be level but it will be straight. Subtle enough for me anyway

Last edited by DAYTRIP on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:34 am

Is this one going to be like the 28 only longer or will it be something different?

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:26 am

Daytrip,

Are the transom's on these 28's solid glass?

Love the job you are doing. Ready for the next one?

Regards
Tom

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 am

It will be a longer tweaked version of the 28 I have now fuzz. No major changes really just hatch layout and revisions to the console and seating design.

Tom, I thought after hull #1 that I was done. Now working on hull 3! The transom is glass only but it is only a 1/4” thick. Needs to be cored and glassed to support outboards. Not a huge deal

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:30 am

Daytrip,

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure but Phil said it was all glass. Yeah coring with high density stuff wrapping it around the bottom and sides 3 to 6 ft should tie it all together with sufficient strength to support outboards. How far around do you tab the inner core?

Regards
Tom

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 am

Not sure I follow your last question Tom “ How far do I tab the inner core” ? What I did on the 28 I am running now was laminated 3/8 meranti one ply at a time and glued it with epoxy and wood flour. I did 5 plys. Then I glassed over the entire core. In reality the transom core on mine does very little as I carried stringers thru to bracket. The transom of course helps but not loaded like it would be with a bracket bolted to the transom.

It would be cool to do a 28 in the current configuration but I would pull the cockpit and engine deck completely out. It can be lowered almost a foot from where it is now and you could make it level to the cabin. That would make a really nice layout and awesome fishing platform. Problem is in today’s world everyone wants a center console. That said the function of the sportfish layout is great.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Daytrip,

I follow what you did with the transom. I was thinking of 2 inch high density super strong transom core and tabbing it into the sides and bottom and stringers. That was the reason for my question.

Neat idea to lower the main deck to cabin sole level. Getting rid of the cabin or building a new one with flybridge on top. So many options but center console seems like the simplest thing to do. Cut the entire cap off and start with bare hull. Main deck much lower with tanks underneath in the bow area. Cheek tanks up front would work well I think and since Perry up the road from me have several excellent tank builders. RDS and Ezell. My boat building buddy at Ugly Boat ( Slayer Skiffs and Panga ) uses Danny Ezell's tanks exclusively.

Tanks up front might help the CG situation somewhat. I can introduce you to Ezell if you wish. I can put you up for a day or so If you wish to make the journey up here.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee