FS18 Chine Repair

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS18 Chine Repair

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Been out doing some exploring with my FS18. Unfortunately exploring new water I’ve managed to find a couple of thing a I’d rather not have found, a couple of submerged hazards :cry: . The good news the hull is pretty dang durable but I did ding a small section of the chine, about 3”. Just knocked off the coating and exposed the fiberglass.

I’m probably overthinking this but curious as to the best way to repair. My hull bottom and chine had the epoxy graphite coating. So, to repair, after cleaning up the damaged spot, should I mix up a wood flour and epoxy and add graphite? Or Should I just use just Fiber Tex repair and add graphite to match the hull. Or something else altogether?

Thanks in advance for suggestions. Anxious to get repaired and get back out on the water.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS18 Chine Repair

Post by Reid » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Mikem59,

Sorry to hear about the damage! Glad the hull held up ok though.
Don't overthink this. I would simply mix up some Epoxy with some silica and milled fiber and fill in the damaged area. Sand that smooth and then coat with another mix of Epoxy and graphite powder to match. Should be good as new!

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Mikem59 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:27 pm
The good news the hull is pretty dang durable but I did ding a small section of the chine, about 3”. Just knocked off the coating and exposed the fiberglass.

Sorry that happened... Great news about how well the hull faired!!

That has to be the best news for me, I've never own or built a S&G boat until now. Glad to hear they can take a hit and bring you home. Please post photos on how you fixed it, before and after.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Reid wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm
I would simply mix up some Epoxy with some silica and milled fiber and fill in the damaged area. Sand that smooth and then coat with another mix of Epoxy and graphite powder to match. Should be good as new!

Thanks Reid! Thanks for helping me refresh my memory. Looked back at how I did the chine and the graphite for the bottom.

Capt UB. I’ll make sure I get some pics. May be a several days before I get to it though.

I’ll add, this hull took a pretty good lick. Put a scare into me. First thing I did was check to see if I was taking on water :lol:
Thankfully NO!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 am

Yep these boats can take a lot of abuse. Check up on Sticky Stuff's PH build where he put a small stump in the right outer rear well. The photo's are still available on here.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:54 am

TomW1 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 am
Yep these boats can take a lot of abuse. Check up on Sticky Stuff's PH build where he put a small stump in the right outer rear well. The photo's are still available on here.

Tom
Tom,
Was he able to repair it? Going to look at photos.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 am

Found the post by StickyStuff, dang what a story.

My wife decided to give me her repair advice, just use some duct tape and flex seal :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:28 am

Probably good advice but not for your boat!!!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Capt UB wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:54 am
TomW1 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 am

Tom
Tom,
Was he able to repair it? Going to look at photos.
Oh yeah, he fixed it with no problems. That is the greatest part of these boats.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Reid wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm
Don't overthink this. I would simply mix up some Epoxy with some silica and milled fiber and fill in the damaged area. Sand that smooth and then coat with another mix of Epoxy and graphite powder to match. Should be good as new!
Reid, thanks again, pretty much did exactly what you said.

Pics and explanations below:

Here's what I started with, all in all, very minor damage, but nonetheless needed repair.
Sanded the area to clean it up and give a good bonding surface.
Masked off with some clear tape to prevent epoxy from sticking. Also, plenty of plastic on floor around trailer bunk to prevent getting resin all over where it's not supposed to be.
Had to jack up the boat to get some clearance on the underside to work the entire affected area. As you can see, had to use some wood blocks to enable the jack to be able to give me enough lift, but blocked the underside to support rather than rely on the just the jack.
Used some milled glass
And, some wood flour
at about a 1:1 ratio
mixed with epoxy resin to get a peanut butter consistency
Applied
Cured 24 hours, removed tape
Sanded down
Used some fairing compound
Sanded the fairing and got the shape back to original
And now, with one coat of Epoxy Resin and graphite. I'll probably do 2 more coats of epoxy resin and graphite. I'll have to go back and touch up the hull side paint too. But I'm liking what I see so far.