Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Also, if the hull has no core; you are in luck. A rotten core and the boat is trash.

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:22 am

I know it can be a little unnerving to punch holes in your hull but if there is any doubt in your mind I would go ahead and cut a couple of holes to make sure what you have before spending a bunch of time and money.
Fallguys advise is spot on about junking the hull if it has a wet core. Way too many good project hulls out there to spend time on a bad one. I know nothing about this hull and it might be a very good hull, that is for you to decide.

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:09 am

I'm heading out to work on the boat some today. I'll do a bit more discovery work and see what I can find. I would love to pop the top but without help and not willing to build a lift I will have to work with it on. It's a large transom but I think I can remove the back 12" of the stringers to get it in. I'll try to be as surgical as possible when removing them. Also, that would allow me to inspect the inside to see if water got in there too. If so I'll have to pull out the soaked foam and replace.

It looks like it had a ski locker ahead of the gas tank but removed. I don't think I will put that back but I may change my mind. I do like the idea of a completely sealed floor. Likewise it looks like the panel over the gas tank was removable. I think I would like to seal it as well with a couple of small access panels.

I'll report back with my discovery and progress. Thanks again for all the insight and shared experience.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:44 am

You WILL need to remove soaked foam. Depending upon the vintage; most likely it is saturated or oil filled or both.

Make sure if you lift the cap to only lift it a bit, if possible. You can wedge it up off the transom.The boat can lose its shape when you pull the transom and then put the new ply in and cap not fit.

Again, avoid cutting the transom out from the outside. The inside work is much simpler.

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:54 am

So I didn't get as much done as I wanted. I got all my tools out and ready just about to put on my tyvek suit and work calls. So 4 hours later I get home its dark but I needed to see some progress so I got out the shop lights and worked with the mosquitos. I was able to pull the skin off will little effort after cutting score lines with the cutoff wheel. Really soaked inside. Easily pulled the first layer of ply off. As if it didn't have anything bonding the two together except a couple of rusted out screws. Not complaining though it made my life easier and I now have an intact template. I did take the cutoff wheel and score a fairly deep ling horizontally so could almost bend it in two to pull it out. I have a full schedule today so probably not going to have time to do anything but perhaps a few hours tonight if I'm up to it.

Here is where I left it. Once I cut the stringers back and finishing scoring the outside lines I think this thing will pull on out with little hassle but it may put up a fight.

Last edited by JonNMtJuliet on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:59 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:44 am
You WILL need to remove soaked foam. Depending upon the vintage; most likely it is saturated or oil filled or both.

Make sure if you lift the cap to only lift it a bit, if possible. You can wedge it up off the transom.The boat can lose its shape when you pull the transom and then put the new ply in and cap not fit.

Again, avoid cutting the transom out from the outside. The inside work is much simpler.
Appreciate the guidance. its a little tedious with the cap on but I'm going to make it my last resort to pull it or even lift it a little. I may change my mind when I try to go back in.

Its pretty amazing to me that none of the penetrations through the transom had any type of sealant or maybe over the years it just deteriorated. The only thing I could see was caulk on the outside but looks like someone tried to do a shotty repair after the fact.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:57 am

Pics failed, fyi

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:14 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:57 am
Pics failed, fyi
sorry I have it fixed now. thanks.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:26 am

I hope it comes out easy for you but do not be surprised if it fights back some. An air chisel works good but be careful not to knock a hole in the outer skin with one. You might end up using every tool in your collection.

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Well I had a hour so I thought I'd see how much I could get done. It didn't just fall out but really coming along. A couple more hours and I should be ready to sand. Unfortunately the foam in the stringers is soaked so I'm going to remove that somehow until I find it dry. I really don't want to cut the stringers completely out so need to get a plan around that.

I need to cleanup before I start again. My trash can was full so it got messy...