Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 am

Boy does that bring back memories of a couple winters ago. Keep after it, one chunk here and there and pretty soon it will all be gone. When you get close to the outside skin you can use a grinder and 24 grit disk to know the last of the wood off. Just be careful, the grinder has been called a WMD for a reason.
If your stringers are soaked but the glass is still in good shape you can just cut the top off them. That will give you an opening to get the foam out and do any changes you might want to like raising them or even running chase tubes through them.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 am

Fuzz wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 am
Boy does that bring back memories of a couple winters ago. Keep after it, one chunk here and there and pretty soon it will all be gone. When you get close to the outside skin you can use a grinder and 24 grit disk to know the last of the wood off. Just be careful, the grinder has been called a WMD for a reason.
If your stringers are soaked but the glass is still in good shape you can just cut the top off them. That will give you an opening to get the foam out and do any changes you might want to like raising them or even running chase tubes through them.
Great advice.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

IRON PONY
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by IRON PONY » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:50 pm

I did a Webb craft 21' a few years ago. The ways the engine mounts to were rotted out so pay attention to those. I also did the transom at the same time. They were built with a solid glass hull. The webbcraft boats were used by the lake patrols on most of the lakes in Oklahoma. But grand lake rangers used them until just a few years ago. The company I think was founded by William Webb and then his son took over, but I forget what year that was. He died not long after the building they built them in burned to the ground. His grandson is still in Oklahoma and I have his phone number somewhere. I'll try to find it. I have a 21' webbcraft that I'm thinking about rebuilding now. And there are all kinds of them floating around here in Oklahoma that I might be able to get parts off of if ya need some. They were for the most part a very well built boat. And the grandfather set if I remember right a world speed record for inland lakes with one of his boats. But the reason the Rangers liked them was they were tough and reliable. They are still sought after around here. The only real draw back that I know of was the use of the OMC stinger out drives. So if I rebuild the one I have now it will get a solid transom and a bracket with a outboard. If I can help let me know Bill

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:22 pm

IRON PONY wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:50 pm
I did a Webb craft 21' a few years ago. The ways the engine mounts to were rotted out so pay attention to those. I also did the transom at the same time. They were built with a solid glass hull. The webbcraft boats were used by the lake patrols on most of the lakes in Oklahoma. But grand lake rangers used them until just a few years ago. The company I think was founded by William Webb and then his son took over, but I forget what year that was. He died not long after the building they built them in burned to the ground. His grandson is still in Oklahoma and I have his phone number somewhere. I'll try to find it. I have a 21' webbcraft that I'm thinking about rebuilding now. And there are all kinds of them floating around here in Oklahoma that I might be able to get parts off of if ya need some. They were for the most part a very well built boat. And the grandfather set if I remember right a world speed record for inland lakes with one of his boats. But the reason the Rangers liked them was they were tough and reliable. They are still sought after around here. The only real draw back that I know of was the use of the OMC stinger out drives. So if I rebuild the one I have now it will get a solid transom and a bracket with a outboard. If I can help let me know Bill
Bill thanks for the insight and I may have to take you up on the parts. The motor mounts will be next. when i pulled the engine a couple of the lags were pretty rusted. That is an interesting thought to go to an outboard. i have to completely replace the engine as the block is cracked and rebuild bellows and go through the out drive so maybe i should give it some thought. This one has a 5.7 and a merc alpha one.

i've got time to think about it.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 pm

If it was me, I'd go outboard on a bracket too. You gain cockpit space as well.

IRON PONY
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by IRON PONY » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm

A little more about the lake patrol boats on grand lake. They were 24' and had twin 502 Chevys with bravo out drives and were capable of 70mph. They were capable of handling the chop (and it can get bad there) on that lake at speed. All ya had to do was witness the patrol boats in action and you would be impressed. I took my 21' off the coast of LA. And was very impressed with its sea keeping. If the rest of the hull is in good shape it is worth repairing in my opinion. And if you have a Mercury out drive then it should be a good project. Just be fore warned I think that most of those mercs were reverse rotation. So you can't just drop a regular small block in there. Bill made some 30 plus feet cigarette type hulls and a 33' bow rider. Why a 33 ft. Bow rider I don't know. The number I had for webbcraft was bills number so it's no good now. Hope this helps bill

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:09 am

Sounds like you have a hull that is well worth the time and expense to rebuild. Looking forward to seeing it happen :D

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 am

Now I just need time to work on it... Hopefully this weekend I can get demo complete.

I did check and the engine in there was a MCM 260 and is CCW

IRON PONY
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by IRON PONY » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:32 am

Ccw is normal rotation for a small block so a short block will work. But the cam is a different grind for boat engines then it is for cars and pick ups. But a lot of rebuilders will put a marine cam in for you. Gm used to list marine spec reman engines with both rotations under their target master line. But they always want more for a marine engine. Good luck Bill

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:54 am

Almost gone... I had a hour last night so I jumped in and did a little more demo. Should have some time this weekend to get more done.