Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:37 pm

still doing demo... the transom is out and engine mounts are out but hoping to get some advise on something. :help: I'm not sure how to handle these boxes on the sides of the hull. I thought it was just glass and flotation foam but the boxes hav 1/8 ply that is soaked and mostly compost. My question is should I just cute them out to the hull and completely rebuild them or is there a better path. It also provides a place for the interior to mount to. Since I haven't planned that far ahead I'm not sure how to proceed. I do know I don't want to have the button screws like I found it for the mounting of the interior.

Here is what I'm talking about.

Pretty sure it didn't leave the factory with those huge holes cut. someone thought that was a great place for speakers...

piperdown
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:22 pm

This may or may not be allowed but....

If you haven't seen this guys videos on buying, then finding out all kinds of problems, then taking vids of the rebuild, it's worth a look. At least it's informative. I went through the entire video series earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kopF4muvF0c
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Was the sole sitting on top of them?

if so, I would probably remove them and be careful to not hole the hull doing so.

Then, make a stringer out of the vertical section with 3/4 ply or foam and take the sole all the way over to the hull edge.

Then when you go to install the sole, you just bed the sole down into some thickened resin on the top of the stringers. The edges of the sole can be filled in with thickened resin and you can fillet the edge of the sole and tape it to the hull sides.

If the sole was not sitting on them, then they are stiffeners and would be considered needed.

I would rebuild them with foam in that case.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:52 am

Start getting rid of everything wet & rotted. If you feel it's not going to leave you anything useful behind, then stop picking at it & just cut the pieces out. It's a boat. Everything you see can be rebuilt. As for screwing things down topside...you should be able to glue & glass your console to the sole.

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:52 pm

Well I had some time today to do some work. I think I have all of the rotted wood out now. I had more left than I thought. Now I just have to remove the rest of the foam from the bow and see what is wet in the stringers. Then its time to begin the sanding... This would have been much easier if I would have pulled it apart but I really don't want to go that path. I spent the better part of this afternoon working laying down under the bow. Not to mention fighting with some red wasp squatters but they were evicted. I'm trying to understand why they built the bow this way. This boat had a 6" step from the bow into the back of the boat. You can see from where I removed everything. I can build it back but I'm think it might be better to just level it out. The chine where the sole would land goes the whole way to the bow. I would need to cut and build out the walkway for the extra 6". Seems like the newer webbcrafts i can find had a flat sole from bow to stern.

what do you guys think?

Also, the boxes on the sides are purely stiffness and floatation. I'll rebuild once I have the sole in place. Nothing too exciting but here is my progress.

Its kind of hard to see but where the fan is could be cut out and lengthened to the new sole height. The only think I can figure is seat comfort in the bow...

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:53 am

What is the plan for the finished boat? Something like it is now or maybe centre console? Or something else?
For me I like a one level deck if it works for your plan. The best, for me, would be to have a slight slope to the stern and a little crown in the deck. Nothing nicer than a deck that sheds water really well.

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:54 am

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:53 am
What is the plan for the finished boat? Something like it is now or maybe centre console? Or something else?
For me I like a one level deck if it works for your plan. The best, for me, would be to have a slight slope to the stern and a little crown in the deck. Nothing nicer than a deck that sheds water really well.
I'd like to keep it close to what it is. The idea is to have something that would tool around our lakes and provide finishing and tubing. This will never see the ocean and probably not even river water.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 am

If those boxes were above the sole, I would probably use some 8" biaxial tape and make a couple passes of it at the hull sides and sole intersection and skip the boxes. Of course, if the plan is to return enough positive flotation; they probably did all those things to make places for the foam; even that forward bow section riser if it had foam under.

It is looking good. I thought you said the stringers were saturated inside and were going to take the tops off.

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:09 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 am
If those boxes were above the sole, I would probably use some 8" biaxial tape and make a couple passes of it at the hull sides and sole intersection and skip the boxes. Of course, if the plan is to return enough positive flotation; they probably did all those things to make places for the foam; even that forward bow section riser if it had foam under.

It is looking good. I thought you said the stringers were saturated inside and were going to take the tops off.
They had a ton of foam up there. I had to get my shovel to remove the bulk of it... which actually worked really well with the leverage until it got tight. So maybe to meet the flotation requirement. However, I will be filling the ski locker cavity with foam so that should make up a lot that is lost.

yes I need to do a couple of cuts down the stringers to see if its all wet or just the back part. i suspect all of it has moisture and would probably feel better if i just removed it all... they look to have two compartments in them. The bottom had the poured foam and the top have a black foam that appeared to be manufactured to fit in the top channel.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:21 am

Good luck. So far you are taking a great approach. Not sure if you can get the plywood back in without taking that cap off.