99 Explorer 19tv restoration

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Backhome

99 Explorer 19tv restoration

Post by Backhome » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:36 am

Hello all been along time. Just purchased a 99 Explorer 19TV for a great price. Boat seams to be solid however it is 20 years old :D. I have stripped the deck components, hatch lids, aluminum work ect. And would like to start with bottom issue. As with any shallow water boat I have some to me serious scratches and a few gouges on the bottom of the hull. I would like to get a few opinions as to the severity. Thanks

Backhome

Re: 99 Explorer 19tv restoration

Post by Backhome » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:50 am

Have not been here in a while and can’t post pics. Tried to go to gallery and it said no folders and or permission to upload :doh:

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:57 am

Welcome back,

They have made it a breeze to add photos now. Your photos you need to post need to be saved on your computer. At the bottom of your posting should be a category of attachments but I do not see it on this page. When you click on attachment it goes to your picture file and you select the one you want to add. Then it loads and when ready you get an ADD icon.

I wonder if you need to do something to get the attachment icon.

Sorry, not much help.

Regards
Tom

Backhome

Post by Backhome » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:50 am

Got pics uploaded to gallery but don’t see option to add to post

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:01 pm

You posted a link to the picture, what you want to do to get it into your post is right click and copy the image address, then click the picture icon and paste in the middle of that.

Hank

Backhome

Post by Backhome » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Picture shows the forward end of tunnel coming off the V. Most are not into the actual glass. I have some filler with glass fibers mixed in and I was wondering if that would be ok to use to fill, fair and re gelcoat.

Or do I need to grind down to glass and rebuild with Mat sand fair and gelcoat.

Tried to load pic again and it said unable to determine pic size. Also I am using a IPHONE.
Thanks

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Don't see anything in need of repair! 8) :? 8O :lol: :doh:

Seriously, this doesn't look bad at all and it's on the bottom. You going to be beaching this boat? If so, you might consider just cleaning and sanding for tooth, fill with something like Quick Fair, and then give it a couple of coats of graphite/epoxy over the entire bottom up to the waterline to protect from this sort of abrasion. If that's going to be too ugly for you, match the gelcoat after fairing. This last step isn't so easy to do so Google how-to-videos to match the color.

I don't think you need the chopped glass filler, as that is hard to sand and not needed unless this is a structural element, which it isn't.
Tony

Backhome

Post by Backhome » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Awesome news, some of the chipped areas I sanded out have a dip in them. Looks like it was possibly air bubbles as it chips off easily. Will just fill them with fairing compound.

Boat will run in about 8-10” and get up in 12” so it probably has been grounded quite a bit :lol:

Explorer 19TV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:51 pm

I might be just worried to much but I didn’t want water getting into the glass.