Panga Transom Question

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mike Bergen
New Poster
New Poster

Panga Transom Question

Post by Mike Bergen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:14 am

Hi guys! New member here. I have a twenty year old panga made by Allmand boats. She's a bit of a beater but the design of the boat is top notch and I've been taking her further offshore lately so I thought it was probably a good idea to fix a few things.

The floor is completely shot but I have a good game plan for tackling that. What I need input on is what y'all think might be the best way to replace the transom. I've included a link to a gallery of pics. The transom is not a conventional shape and it has a splash well and hatches to further complicate matters.

Any ideas??

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=2040

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Panga Transom Question

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Check the threads at the top of this section, in particular, the Aquasport. It includes a complete transom repair and also a sole replacement.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Mike Bergen
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Mike Bergen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:31 pm

I've read that entire thread... and a couple dozen others. However, I haven't seen anyone re-do a transom similar to mine. Just looking for insight as to the best places to make the cuts. I'm tempted to go at it from the outside given that the core does not extend down to the bottom of the hull or tie into any sort of stringers. I couldn't care less about aesthetics. This boat is for catching fish.

I'm a professional carpenter with experience building fiberglass kayaks so I know enough to be dangerous.

OrangeQuest
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike!
You could wait till a few more members see your post and the ones that have experience may offer some advice. You said the floor is shot but do you see anywhere the transom is needing attention? I see a lot of rust coming from the transom eyes but is there flexing, visible rot or maybe you have soft spots? Once you get the floor up you may see that the stringers are also in need of some TLC.

Those rear locker hatches look different and I am guessing a pain too. Be sure and post lots of pictures! Looking at your pictures I can see other family members already getting into the repairs! :D
Good luck,
OQ

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Welcome Mike,
Wish I had words of wisdom on your transom but I don't, sorry. I have never gotten into one built like that. When you do get started post lots of pictures and ask questions. I am sure someone will be able to help with a lot of what you will be doing.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Mike, Welcome to our Builders Forum!! As you can see, a few folks have already responded!! You will get some good help and guidance here!! Again, welcome, Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Why not replace it with a simple strong transom? All those corners and steps are probably the result of a mold that has been modified many times. I see no reason for such a complicated shape.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

cape man

Post by cape man » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:03 pm

I ask the same question as OQ. Other than the rust coming out of the rear tie downs, is the transom flexing or soft? Why are you wanting to replace it?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Mike Bergen
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Mike Bergen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks for the welcome guys!

The transom has a crack in the top cap a couple inches to the right of the engine. If I had to guess I would say it was from a previous owner hitting something hard with the skeg. The crack was never properly repaired and has been open to the elements for a number of years. There is a little flex in the transom. Not much, but enough that I want to cut it open and re-do it so I can, at the least, have full confidence it is not going to suffer catastrophic failure if I'm offshore in some weather.

While I agree with Jacques that there is probably no *need* for the transom to have such a dynamic design, the process of cutting off the entire back of the boat to put in a flat transom seams like a hell of a lot more work than cutting the outer skin leaving a lip of fiberglass at the edges and extricating the old material.

Whatever I end up doing won't be until January or so- Just trying to get a game plan in place.

Thanks again-

Mike

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:35 pm

1. I'm an idiot. Just ask my wife.
2. I've not done a transom. Ever. And I don't plan too.
3. Refer to #1 and #2 frequently.

Assuming for a minute that your idea isn't terrible (which I don't know), how will you replace the core material?
I could see some type of high density plastic but then how are you getting to mold to the curves?
Wood will need many many little strips that you epoxy into place (which is just a PITA, not a problem)?
You could get the same "small pieces" approach to work with HD plastic...
You say that the crack is open. We can assume water ingress. How will you verify no rot or degradation of core without opening every part of the transom structure?

I'm asking as you may have a better plan than I can think up in my (marginally functional) brain. :)