18 ft fiberglass over wood transom repair, How many layers for tabing?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 18 ft fiberglass over wood transom repair, How many layers for tabing?

Post by Fuzz » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 pm

Terry this what I would do if it were me and please remember this is just from looking at your pictures.
First remove all of the motor well and anything attached to the transom. Most of it looks like it is not attached very well. When that is done remove the inside glass on the transom. I bet it peels off easy also. You are going to want something solid to tie to and I would not trust the old glass. Also peel the glass off the sides for a foot from the transom. I would bond one layer of new plywood to the transom on the inside and then glass it all in.
Get some of this done and we can go from there.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 pm
Terry this what I would do if it were me and please remember this is just from looking at your pictures.
First remove all of the motor well and anything attached to the transom. Most of it looks like it is not attached very well. When that is done remove the inside glass on the transom. I bet it peels off easy also. You are going to want something solid to tie to and I would not trust the old glass. Also peel the glass off the sides for a foot from the transom. I would bond one layer of new plywood to the transom on the inside and then glass it all in.
Get some of this done and we can go from there.
Yup. This is right.

Make sure and find a way to keep the boat from getting out of shape. It didn't sound like you are removing the transom wood, so you ought to be fine.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

1barracuda
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 1barracuda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:48 am

Thanks, fuzz, fallguy and chuck, That is what i need to hear. So if i remove the transom motor well supports and add plywood reinforcement to make the transom thickness uniform, does that include the tabbing around the inside perimeter? How much epoxy resin should i order for this project? 3 gallons? and what weight and size biaxial cloth or tape? :doh:

1barracuda
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 1barracuda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:49 pm

So the reason I keep mentioning 6" biracial tape is because that is what they sell at bateau.com. do I want to buy biracial cloth and cut my own tape pieces and tab it that way? Do I use micro sphere in my fillet or wood flour? What widths of tape? Just my many questions, lol. The transom tutorial doesn't talk about biracial tape tabbing widths, just shows a basic outline of where to put your tabbing. If you explain it I am sure I will understand. Thanks for everyone's help! Very appreciative

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:07 pm

Once again if it were me I would do this. After exposing the inside transom and bonding a new layer of plywood to it I would tab onto the sides and bottom with three layers of 6 inch tape. Off set the layers just enough so you do not have a big bump. I would the cover the new plywood with two layers of 17 oz biax or 3 layers of 12oz. You want to let this glass run out onto the hull by 8 inches or so. This will give you 5-6 layers tying the transom to the hull.
It is going to take more epoxy than you think it will. I would order a 6 gallon kit of Marine epoxy with slow hardener from Jeff. A roll of tape, 10-15 yards of glass and 6 gallons of epoxy adds up. Look at the cost and make sure you want to spend that much on this boat. To fix this right it will be neither fast nor cheep :wink:
But it can be done and I enjoy doing stuff like that :D

1barracuda
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 1barracuda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks Fuzz, one question, or two. So how do I fiberglass the outside of the transom, I understand how you tied the inner transom to the boat, just not the outside? Or was the 17 oz. Biaxial for the outside? :doh: I understand the process, what I need is is broken down into 2 separate processes, the tabbing and glassing inside the boat vs the outside of the transom. Their I think that is my real question. Lol

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:26 pm

The glass I was speaking of is for the inside only. When you have to glass the outside you have a whole new set of problems. The best way to do this is to tab the outside and then carry your full biax over the transom and out onto the hull. This will leave you with a bump of glass that needs to be faired into the hull. You could just replace the outside glass you removed with biax and epoxy but this is not the strongest or best way to do it. Like we have said to do it right it is not going to be fast, easy or cheap. You have to decide how far you are willing to go with this. None of us want to tell you how to do something that might fail.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:26 pm
The glass I was speaking of is for the inside only. When you have to glass the outside you have a whole new set of problems. The best way to do this is to tab the outside and then carry your full biax over the transom and out onto the hull. This will leave you with a bump of glass that needs to be faired into the hull. You could just replace the outside glass you removed with biax and epoxy but this is not the strongest or best way to do it. Like we have said to do it right it is not going to be fast, easy or cheap. You have to decide how far you are willing to go with this. None of us want to tell you how to do something that might fail.
Theoretically speaking and purely conjecture with no known basis in fact or knowledge and with the understanding this is NOT sanctioned advice, after tabbing would the full width biax cloth for the exterior go 3-6-8 outside the hull sides and hull bottom or would it be better to go 4-8-12. Or, 3-6-8-10 if going for 4 layers.
Disclaimer, this is only a few guys speculating, not expert advice or with any intent of claiming this was the correct way.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:06 pm

The correct way of doing the overlaps has been debated. There are professionals on both sides. I do think most of them go for the longest piece first. Either way Terry is going to have a big job in front of him. The overlaps will produce some hook in the hull that will need to be faired. The job just keeps getting bigger :help: That is unless he just puts glass over the outside where he took it off. And that is NOT the best way of doing it but it will be as good as it was before.................I think.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 am

Fuzz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:06 pm
The correct way of doing the overlaps has been debated. There are professionals on both sides. I do think most of them go for the longest piece first. Either way Terry is going to have a big job in front of him. The overlaps will produce some hook in the hull that will need to be faired. The job just keeps getting bigger :help: That is unless he just puts glass over the outside where he took it off. And that is NOT the best way of doing it but it will be as good as it was before.................I think.

Ah, so just in speculation, that would be something like 8-6-3 or 10-8-6-3 if four layers. Purely hypothetical and not something that is recommended as this is just conjecture since we are not naval architects or experts in the field.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain