Oscillating Tool recommendation

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mike Garone
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Oscillating Tool recommendation

Post by Mike Garone » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:58 am

I am going to purchase a corded oscillating tool and was looking for first hand recommendations before pick one up. I need to cut the decks up on a PH18 build and saw someone use one in a youtube video and it looks like a much better tool for the job than a Sawzall. Not looking to go super cheap but also don't want to spend much more than $200 on it.

Thanks,

Mike

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Oscillating Tool recommendation

Post by terrulian » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:14 am

I have a pretty cheap one, a Porter-Cable, and it's been excellent. I also scored a deal on an extensive set of blades here that work fine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVVCWZY?ta ... X59ZZ8H0UN
Tony

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:30 pm

I've got two: my first purchase was a Fein and it has been good, still running strong. I bought a second one when we were living in two places- a Rockwell. I was surprised at how good it was, and with all the accessories it was a bargain. It may not last as long as the Fein- time will tell, but it works just as well and cost a fraction of the price.

Some times spending more is worthwhile, but I don't think this is one of those cases.

I will say that the Fein blades were better than the cheap ones, but at their prices they ought to be. Again, not sure it's worth the premium.
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:50 pm

I have a couple of the Rockwells. bought the old plain jane model years ago and it works fine but the newer model is much nicer. I think they make a couple models and I would go for the top of the line. Very few boat building days go by that it does not get used. If you do much sanding the pads do not hold up. I have 6 pads and use spray adhesive to stick the sanding sheets to them. Pain change out but they stay put for me.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:03 pm

I only use carbide cutters. The HF tools are crap, but I buy one every 4-6 months.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:07 pm

X2 on the fein

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:59 pm

It's hard to beat the cordless Dewalt if you already have some of their 20V tools and batteries.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:30 pm

I've been using a Harbor Freight multi tool commercially now for at least 7 years and it's never missed a beat. I do home remodeling, as well as 4 Bateau builds, so it gets a major work out weekly. My buddy has the same one with the same track record. Can't be beat, $15.00 for single speed, and mid 20's for the variable speed. I originally had the Fein tool about 15 years ago, but the blades at that time were so ridiculously expensive I traded at a pawn shop for a compressor. I also buy my blades on Amazon in a multi pack, and they work fine cutting through tougher wood than boat building ply, and cost less than 2 bucks each. I'm not saying any of the other tools are not good tools as well, but in my experience the HF multi tool is a great tool even if it was at $100.00. Whatever one you decide on you won't regret buying one, I think it's one of the most useful tools in my collection, and used almost daily. I saw your other post, and agree with Fuzz and others. Looks like it has no glass, and may be a total loss, but good luck, and I hope we're wrong and it turns out to be a worthwhile endeavor. Mike

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:58 am

+ 1 on the HF model. I got one as a gift a few years back. I have seriously abused that thing and its still kicking.
I also have a Rockwell that I got for a ridiculous price on a closeout at Lowes. It is a very nice tool. I like it better than the HF model but if your going to use it on one boat and be done with it, I would lean to the HF and put the money saved into your boat.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Buy cheap unit but go spendy in blades. The motor isn’t as important as the cutting surface. 90% of the time getting multiple cheap units is cheaper than a festool but no one has ever said “I regret buying a fez” in my presence.
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.