ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:02 am

Thanks for the interest gents.

Started building the battery box today. The anchor locker will sit over the top of it. The battery, which will be packed up a little above the cockpit sole, will be slid in and out of position aft along it.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:22 am

Mine is with my morning coffee, standing in the dark on the deck. "Let's see what's up down in Noosa? " looking good Michael.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 am

Re: clutching, I was more concerned that the e-motor would be fighting the diesel when running on electric, but obviously it would be in neutral at that point. Though having it clutched the way you were thinking sounds like it could be useful.
Cracker Larry wrote:Build on 8)
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:45 am

Questions for you: As I see it you have engine -> trans -> pulley --> prop... that would mean that the emotor spins backwards when the diesel is running the prop in reverse. Did you need to make an electrical modification to handle condition?
The engineer at Eco Boats Australia thinks that in regen mode, the e-motor controller will recognise that the prop shaft is spinning the other way, and make adjustment accordingly. He thinks regen can happen with the prop shaft either way. We'll check this during sea trials.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Double post deleted. Apologies.
Last edited by glossieblack on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Excellent. Did they recommend a meter on the power lines to monitor voltage?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:24 am

You gotta love that orange pipe Michael! Isn't it just the easiest stuff to work with?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 am

BarraMan wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:24 am

You gotta love that orange pipe Michael! Isn't it just the easiest stuff to work with?
Yep, it' makes you look as though you know what you're doing. :D
Jaysen wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Excellent. Did they recommend a meter on the power lines to monitor voltage?
Jaysen, such a meter was part of their original quote. When in regen mode, my understanding is that I monitor the meter, toggle between amps in, current battery voltage, and % battery full, then adjust the e-throttle to increase or decrease the rate of regen as appropriate.

We have the same Xantrex battery monitor on our cruising sailboat, and it does a great job..

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:35 am

Hey Cape Man, is that you having a coffee on your pre-dawn deck? :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 am

If the meter is installed between the controller and battery (which is what is seems like it should based on your explanation) you may want to consider not installing batteries until verifying the output of the controller in a reverse condition. If you reverse polarity into your lipos it could be ... unpleasant. You might be able to bench test this by connecting the emotor and controller, connecting a volt meter to the battery recharge lines, then spinning the emotor with large screw gun (yes it works, I've done it). I'd probably use a standard volt meter not the fancy one unless it can detect reversed polarity. I'd want to see the voltage stay the same polarity no matter which way I spun the motor. That would indicate that the motor controller is properly inverting the voltage in reverse.

I was also thinking, you could leverage the transmission linkage to throw a shutoff relay when you put the transmission in reverse. the relay would create a physical disconnect between the battery recharge circuit and the battery banks. A bit brute force, but it prevents you needing to do any emotor thinking if you have to get into reverse on the diesel in a hurry.

I'm likely over thinking this. Your drive line is unique. Beautifully unique. I'm really intrigued by it. Gets me thinking about gotchas (it's what I do for a living). Sorry if I'm creating any problems for you.