ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Fuzz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Big step getting some sole glued down. Congratulations.
I really like it when I have a flat spot to walk on and work off of that does not shift around on me.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 am

Thanks Eric, Mr Paul and Fuzz. :D

Squeezed in a couple of hours in the shed today.

Installed the engine raw water seacock and barb onto the through hull, and double clamped on the hose that will run to the raw water filter.

Then glued down that piece of the cockpit sole sitting over the raw water intake. Should have the entire sole glued down by the end of the weekend.

Satisfying work. :D

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:54 am

Gotta feel good. Don't know why, but laying down the sole is so rewarding.

Thanks again for the early morning boat update.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:26 am

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how do you get to the seacock with the sole down?

Ive got to start saving my pennies for a long plane ride to see these boats in their native Australian habitats. You guys seem to do things a bit differently down there. And you do it very well.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 am

Looking good as usual :D The fun part of following this thread is trying to figure out what you will do next :)
Is the access to the seacock through a round inspection plate?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe
Currently building...PY12 Kayak and FS18 "Bare Bones"
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks cape man, Jaysen and Richard.

JM specified the seacock be in the position it is, at the start of the tunnel, because to put it through the flat bottom of the box keel could inhibit water pick up in the event of a grounding. He also specified an inspection hatch for access in the sole above the seacock.

Because Skinnydip will be moored in open in semi-tropical conditions that produce at times extended periods of heavy rainfall, I've avoided using through sole inspection hatches, which are potentially leak prone. The one exception is an inspection hatch tucked in well under the forward deck and installed on a small step above the sole to minimise the chance of leaks.

Access to the seacock is through a hole in the side of the engine bay. It's easy to slide your had through the hole and rotate the seacock's lever handle open or shut. The first photo below shows the raw water hose exiting the access hole into the engine bay.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 pm

That makes sense. I knew the location was specific. Just couldn't see the access. Thanks for the explanation.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 pm

I think you made a very wise choice not putting in one of those round deck hatches. It could be I have never seen a good one but so far I have not found one that works easy and does not leak.

gonandkarl
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:15 am

I have got a round hatch lid at the bow locker of my FS13 and it leaks whenever it rains. I think with some seal glue under the rim and around all 8 bolts with their nuts underneath I should get the locker watertight. I already thought the water also comes in at the screw of the bow eye. When I put on glue at the hatch I will apply also some at the bow eyes bolt. I agree with Michael any hatch in the boat can leak. I am so paranoid about holes in the boat that I am thinking of hanging the electric outboard plate as well as the boarding ladder on the other side to the pushpits to avoid making more holes into the transom. 12 holes for the rudder fittings and the 2 bow eye holes are my aim for the hull.
I think after you glued the sole panels so nicely your splashing time is coming nearer.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks Jaysen, David and Karl, your interest sure is appreciated.

And I agree with the comments on leaking inspection hatches! IMO they are to be avoided unless absolutely necessary, in which case they should be full metal jacket.

Spent this afternoon getting the last section of the sole glued down, after first attaching a reinforcing beam to its underside where I might want to bolt down a grab post in the future.

Getting al the sole glued down feels like a milestone, so the child bride and I are already working our way through bottles of bubbles. :D