ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by cape man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:05 am

In some parts of the world they are considered a delicacy so perhaps if you had a section of untreated wood on the bottom of your boat, lets call it a sacrificial "wormode", you could cultivate and harvest the worms regularly as an occasional entré to be washed down with a good red. I hear they taste like oysters! :D
DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM!!! Next we'll be reading a tome on an e-chiller with forced refrigerated air utilizing an enzymatic reaction from methane in the sediments and driven by the catalyst associated with diesel exhaust to chill the worms down! And all of that will be constructed in a day or two with absolutely not a single drop of epoxy missing its target.

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Glassed in two layers of 1/4" packers to raise the e-motor's anti-vibration mounts so that when they are adjusted down the belt can be removed, and when they are adjusted up the belt is tensioned.

Because the engine box needs to move up and down, there is a box shroud on its underside which penetrates into the cool air duct below.

The second picture shows the motor box tilted back to reveal the box shroud.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 pm

I admire how much thought you've put into this drive system! Outstanding work my friend.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm

The wood boats I've worked on have all had a sacrificial 'worm shoe' the full length of the keel made of a wood species that the worms will attack before attacking the planking. In Florida as in all the tropics a wood boat has to hauled and checked every year, with the worm shoe being replaced whenever it gets too eaten up.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 pm

I admire you in the 10 plus years I have been on the forum yours is probably the most thought out and documented build posted on line. Keep up the good work and the posting it is really fascinating watching your build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:58 am

Everything Tom said :!: Yours is one fascinating build to watch.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:03 am

Thanks for the ongoing encouragement Eric, Tom and David. It sure is appreciated. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by blueflood » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 am

Hi glossieblack, no kidding - this is one cool build. Glad someone went for an unconventional design :D

Marc

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 am

blueflood wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 am
Hi glossieblack, no kidding - this is one cool build. Glad someone went for an unconventional design :D

Marc
Thanks Marc, I'm enjoying finding my way with Skinnydip's build :D

Well Eric with his C21 build and Richard with his FS18 build are about to achieve significant primer milestones. Tomorrow I’m hoping to achieve one that will be a relief to me.

I’m hoping to epoxy down the aft locker sole, and in so doing, bury my less than fond memories of too numerous changes to the diesel engine and e-motor cooling duct runs and bilge blower choices.

Spent today addressing minor things that only become important once it hits you that the area you're working on is about to be entombed, hopefully for many years, or perhaps more accurately, so that it can remain entombed for many years.

I can’t wait to bury the changes.

And the next day, nobody looking at Skinnydip, including me with my self-inflicted amnesia, will be any the wiser. :D

Last edited by glossieblack on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.