ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by BarraMan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:01 am

So Glossie, once you and your mates have restored these oyster beds are you going to be able to harvest some?

I can just see a Down-under Bateau Get-together on the Noosa R now - a collection of Bateau boats rafted up in some picturesque spot, freshly shucked Noosa R oysters washed down with a selection of good Aussie wines! :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:27 am

Aripeka Angler wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 pm
I'm a little late to the party but I have to say I love the decking you have done! :D
Thanks AA! :D
BarraMan wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:01 am
So Glossie, once you and your mates have restored these oyster beds are you going to be able to harvest some?
I can just see a Down-under Bateau Get-together on the Noosa R now - a collection of Bateau boats rafted up in some picturesque spot, freshly shucked Noosa R oysters washed down with a selection of good Aussie wines! :lol:
It will be a number of years before any harvesting. But let's do a Down-under Bateau Get-together with Moreton Bay oysters and Aussie wines sometime half way through next year! :D .

Spent some time today cutting to shape then filleting into position the vertical knees for the front deck beams.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:20 am

Sounds like a plan - I'm in!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 am

BarraMan wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:20 am
Sounds like a plan - I'm in!
Good stuff! :D

Today I cut out the deck openings for the two anchor locker hatches. The openings need to be large enough to get the anchor in and out, with a bit of room to spare.

First I made a template, as I wanted to be sure that when I cut the deck, the cut was right.

It was just as well I did, because when I test installed the template, the deck openings were a little too big to easily enable the addition of a protruding lip under the deck to support the closed hatches.

A second template was spot on. After using it to mark up the openings on the deck, the deck was cut - first pic.

The second pic, which was taken four months ago, shows the 10 kg Manson Supreme anchor.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:26 am

As usual she's looking good. It will be interesting to see the curved hatches go on.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:59 pm

MrPaul wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:26 am
As usual she's looking good. It will be interesting to see the curved hatches go on.
I'm wondering about the best way to achieve the curved hatches myself.

My current thinking is to run some kerfs on their undersides to assist them taking the curve, then turn them upside down and pin them down in a temporary curved jig, then fillet the kerfs, then wide fabric glass the undersides.

Suggestions from others sought and appreciated. :D

cape man

Post by cape man » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:50 pm

I would build the supporting "lips" under the openings, cut the kerfs (I would cut them in two directions) in the undersides of the lids, fill the kerfs with thickened epoxy/filets, then weigh the entire edges down until the epoxy sets. Make sure to cover the lips with plastic so they don't get glued down...oh wait...I forgot that you never spill any epoxy other than exactly where you want it :lol: :lol:

Took a vacation to Washington State and the Olympic National Park last week, in case you were wondering why my witty humor wasn't blessing this otherwise noble thread. Took a couple of peeks to see that you were still working, but otherwise stayed away from the internet and my phone as much as possible.

As others have stated...awesome stuff you are doing there sir!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:57 pm

glossieblack wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:59 pm
MrPaul wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:26 am
I'm wondering about the best way to achieve the curved hatches myself.

My current thinking is to run some kerfs on their undersides to assist them taking the curve, then turn them upside down and pin them down in a temporary curved jig, then fillet the kerfs, then wide fabric glass the undersides.

Suggestions from others sought and appreciated. :D
Unfortunately I've got no suggestions. I was just wondering how you were going to do it. All of the work on this boat is way above my pay grade. :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 am

cape man wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:50 pm
I would build the supporting "lips" under the openings, cut the kerfs (I would cut them in two directions) in the undersides of the lids, fill the kerfs with thickened epoxy/filets, then weigh the entire edges down until the epoxy sets. Make sure to cover the lips with plastic so they don't get glued down...!
This a great suggestion thanks CM, it's what I'll do. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:07 am

Today I dry fitted the tiller gland that protrudes through the deck. The tiller stock rises through it, and runs into the tiller head.

The first pic shows the chromed tiller head, and the top of the bronze tiller gland protruding through the deck. The green coated stick is a temporary tiller only, used today to check the alignment and tilt of the tiller gland.

The second pic shows the tiller in relation to the aft and side decks, which double as an ergonomically comfortable U shaped helming seat.

The permanent tiller will be a gently curved and tapered, and will hopefully look as graceful as the temporary one looks clunky.

The two vents on the aft deck are for expulsion of hot air generated by the diesel engine, or the electric motor and controller. They are temporarily positioned to see if they look right where they are.