OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by topwater » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:46 am

Fish don't care :!:

Novi 23 finally launched !

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

Agree, fish don't care and you won't either. You're gold.

Dougster

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Flicking through the forum as we like to do, I realized that today is exactly one year from the start of this project. I remember reading in the study plans "An inexperienced builder with only a few hand tools can build this hull in less than 80 hours". Now, either I seriously need to get my finger out, or they built a different boat! :lol: Made some friends and learned a lot.

Looking forward to another year of fun, sanding and not celebrating the second anniversary with it still in my garage. :)
Alan.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 am

I think there's a disclaimer in tiny print somewhere that states estimated hours "not including fairing, sanding, paint, strakes, splash rails or any options, bare hull only". Considering how much time fairing and sanding take, it's one of the big time factors in a build. I think anyone who is willing to go to the trouble to build their own boat takes pride in their work, and if they're brave enough to post photos for all to see . . well, short cuts aren't likely.

Most people say they really enjoy the process of building (perhaps not so much the sanding part). I know I'm enjoying watching your build, thanks for keeping us posted. :D
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:39 am

I think it was CL or maybe JM himself who said "that when it will float, but it won't be done". Unless you are me or Fuzz (both of whom would just slap a coat of paint and call it done) that's really just the first step in the build. 30ft work boat finish for the win!

And then there's Eric1 and his artwork. That boat has been faired and sanded so much I'm surprised the paint will stick to it! Primer should NOT have a mirror finish! All told he will have more hours in the finish work than some of us have in the whole build.

Which is all to say, don't get too worried about the timeline. I took 9mo to give birth to a v12... with a workboat finish. If anyone should be embarrassed I think that would be me. :)

cape man

Post by cape man » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:48 am

My OD 18 was an 18 month project, but at least 50% of that was drinking a beer and pondering... you will get there. Build on!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am

This is the first OD16 and it may have been built to this stage in 80 hours plus console and rigging. No comparison.

Hank

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 am

pee wee wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 am
I think there's a disclaimer in tiny print somewhere that states estimated hours "not including fairing, sanding, paint, strakes, splash rails or any options, bare hull only". Considering how much time fairing and sanding take, it's one of the big time factors in a build. I think anyone who is willing to go to the trouble to build their own boat takes pride in their work, and if they're brave enough to post photos for all to see . . well, short cuts aren't likely.

Most people say they really enjoy the process of building (perhaps not so much the sanding part). I know I'm enjoying watching your build, thanks for keeping us posted. :D
DING DING DING! We have a winner! I have to put mu name on it, that still means something to this old fart.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:18 am

pee wee wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am
This is the first OD16 and it may have been built to this stage in 80 hours plus console and rigging. No comparison.

What a great picture, including the step chine that is now obsolete.
Alan.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am

That was 25 years ago.
Yes, 80 hours to bring it to that stage, complete, ready for paint, no fancy finish. Also, it did not have the gunwale option.
About half of the 80 hours were spent on the rigging: engine, tank, battery, steering and small stuff.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com