ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by TomW1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:33 pm

glossieblack wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 am
Fuzz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:34 pm
Ok so what does bushwalking entail :doh:
In the US or Canada, you go hiking when you want to escape into nature. We Aussies go bushwalking. Yesterday I bushwalked in Cooloola National Park, which our property abuts.
Sounds great when I need to walk I can take a walk on the Appalachian Trail which is at the start of my driveway. It runs from Georgia to Maine. I have walked parts of it in Maine, Virginia, Georgia and NC of course. My property sounds like yours GB I am surrounded by the Nantahala National Forest. Glad you have such a nice place to do a bushwalk.

Tom

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:33 pm
.... when I need to walk I can take a walk on the Appalachian Trail which is at the start of my driveway. It
Way to go Tom! :D

I first became fascinated by the Appalachian Trail in the 1970s, listening over a beer to tall tales and true from one of my professors at the University of Pennsylvania, who tackled a section each summer vacation. Then years later I stumbled across Bill Bryson's humorously insightful 'A Walk Through the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail', and I came to see the AT as a sort of pilgrimage trail. I wonder if someone taking a similar view has written about Great Loop voyaging?
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:53 am

In cross section the engine box sits on two beds – an outer plinth ¼” above the cockpit sole, and an inner lip on top of the approximately 4” upturn of the cockpit sole.

After more work on it today, the outer plinth is getting close to completion – see first pic below. The inner bed on top of the 4" upturn is shown in the second pic, which was taken before the outer plinth was formed.

Rubber neoprene strips glued to the engine box will form seals between it and the outer and inner bearing beds. The objective is minimise water ingress and engine noise egress.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 am

It's been a stunning sunny winter day here in Noosa, and promises to be for the next day or so, so we've moved aboard Great Sandy. :D

I spent this afternoon reinstalling the six bright work items I had previously removed and taken back to the build shed. They've been stripped back to bare wood then varnished with 7-8 coats over the past month or so.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:31 am

Beautiful work GB and glad your weather is so nice!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 am

Just like Jeff said that looks great.
If you need rain, wind and cold maybe you should invite AA down for a visit :help:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:19 am

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 am
If you need rain, wind and cold maybe you should invite AA down for a visit :help:
Fuzz, offer a man, not a boy. :wink: :lol:

We don't need rain, wind and cold. We need a deluge to bust open the Noosa bar. At the moment it's so full of sand, we can't get Great Sandy out to go cruising. :help:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:02 am

glossieblack wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:19 am
Fuzz wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 am
Fuzz, offer a man, not a boy. :wink: :lol:

We don't need rain, wind and cold. We need a deluge to bust open the Noosa bar. At the moment it's so full of sand, we can't get Great Sandy out to go cruising. :help:
"
Apologies AA, on re-reading my previous post, it should have been "offer a man's agenda, not a boy's". My banter with was with Fuzz, one of the wittiest and most insightful participants in this forum, and not intended to cause any collateral to you. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:07 am

I was starting to wonder if there was some deep rooted "rebellious colonial" feelings going on there. Almost got out the popcorn to watch the fireworks. But then ... no ... just some hasty clicking of post. We've all been there.

<humor>
Hope y'all get turned into meat Popsicles up there. Sounds like the bears need some spare protein for the winter :P
</humor>

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Fitted the new outboard storage bracket on Great Sandy this morning.