The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:13 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 am
Interesting, very interesting. You will use the mold for more than a single hatch?

I know what you mean on the plastic hatches. I do not like the look of the 4 little hatches I bought and the bigger hatch I could not stand on it without it flexing so I reinforced it with foam and glass. As I improve my skills I may come back and make all the hatches.

Your inwale ribs look fantastic, are you going to leave them bright?
Thanks guys.

I need to pull 2 parts from this mold. It should stand up to it ok with the resin coating I'm doing. I wouldn't expect to get more then 5 parts before the mold is toast. I appreciate what it takes to make a mold from scratch like this, but still don't see why a hatch similar would cost $300+ each. I'm to cheap to pay that, so here we are.

As far as the side supports go, I'll be painting them. I'm to far behind now to really slow down to do the finishes I wanted. I might do just a touch of bright work on the console, and might make a platform out of cedar strips later on. For now, I just need this boat done because we might be selling the house and we can't until this is finished.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Wow, I did not realize how long it's been since I made a post, and how little work I got done, lol. Dang holidays!

Ok so some things have happened. I decided to abandon the hatch idea. I realized a few things when I went to start putting glass down. First Where I wanted to run my drain tubes would not work, at least not well enough for me. Then I realized after deciding to play with the mold anyway, that I did not have the right glass rollers to smooth out all the tighter corners. Since I did not want to build another mold I decided to just junk it and move on. I'll just build them out of wood, more on that later on. I did get the side supports/rod holders in place and like how they came out. I didn't realize I hadn't posted that so I'll take a pic later.

I got around to working on the shelf again. I cut down 2 5 gallon buckets and mounted them with a 1/4" bolt. I have some of those closed cell kids play area pads that are round and fit under the buckets, and may use them as sort of a compression shock absorber of sorts. I'll be using 3.5 gallon buckets, one for my cast net, and one for the anchor and rode.

The next idea I came up with I stole from the kayak crowd. So I am looking for all sorts of better way to store things on this small boat. My last one had really one usable semi dry hatch because of the life jackets taking up room, and everything else remained on deck or under the rear deck. So I laminated some parts and got to work on a few solutions.

The pic above is not rope, it's 1/4" marine bungee cord. I'll use it in a shoe string pattern of sorts to store the life jackets in front of the bucket shelf. This area is generally wasted space because of the hull curve, but the jackets don't care. The bungee cord will allow quick easy access in case they are needed.

Bungee Brackets installed

I also did this on the rear compartment that the rigging runs through. Typically guys might wall this off and add a deck plate, but that seems unnecessary. This will allow me to store things and keep them away from the rigging, and give me really good access to anything I might need to do back there.

More to come later.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Looking really good!

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Nice work!! 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:54 pm

Good planning! Looks good too.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:03 pm

I like the bungee cord storage deal. Nice looking and handy.

Dougster

eagle24
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eagle24 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:44 pm

I've run through your build thread at work today. I really like what you are doing and your skiff is looking great! I'll check this out more thoroughly tonight.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:36 pm

I started smoothing out the live well. I ground the top of the foam flush, then used a knife to dig out a wedge around the edges, this will be filled with thickened epoxy to create a good bond with the deck. You can see some left over fillet material I laid in there. I have a few pin holes to seal up and then I'll be ready to prime.

The side supports/rod holders had been more or less leveled, filleted, and glass tabbed in.

I filleted in the bungee cord racks. Then started playing with how I'll string it up. Not quite sure how it will end up, but something like this maybe?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:46 pm

Your work is really good. Every time I see your live well I get jealous! Did you put a backer plate on the spray nozzle hole?

The bungee idea is nice! :)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne