The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by joe2700 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Awlgrip is polyester based and very durable, and it can be rolled and tipped. The other main paint form them is awlcraft which acrylic based and is less durable but more repairable(can be sanded/buffed). Awlcraft can only be sprayed.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 pm

I'm still contemplating my paint choices. Awlgrip is great and can be rolled and tipped, but it's not repairable, or buffable. Meaning if you goof up the job, or smack a crusty dock (which I have), your out of luck. Awlgrip is buffable, but I'm not set up well for spraying. So I am leaning towards going with EMC/Quantum. It is well suited to rolling, and is buffable/repairable. I'm still looking into it, but the guys on THT seem to like it so far.

Outside of that, and as a cost savings measure, I decided to just use rustoleum again for the bilge, inside of console, and rear compartments. I already have some tinted a light blue, it doesn't match, but it's close enough. It held up well enough on my last boat so I'm not worried.
The hull, interior, deck, and live well will get the good stuff, however I think to save some money I'll just make it all one color, instead of a cream non skid.

I am doing some small things to set up for the bigger stuff. Right now I'm just gluing some extra cleats/tabs to help me bond things. Not really needed, but why not.

One last thing. I may have jumped the gun on priming the live well. I realized the hatch design I had in mind won't work with the hinges I have. Not a huge deal, but I need to grind a little at the top, so I'll be repriming it.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:03 pm

I finally decided on a path forward with the remaining hatches. I scribed everything out and will finish cutting it out later on.

I moved forward with the first coat of paint for the storage, bilge, and under console. I was playing with it by adding pigment before, and it came out a much darker blue then I anticipated. I'm not a fan, so my next coat will be a much lighter blue. it is nice to see things all one color, even if it is just coated rough glass.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:17 am

So I'm done painting the rear compartments, bilge, and inside of the console. The lighter blue is much better. I also secured the fuel chase.

I'm cutting out the parts I laid out before. Admittedly my biggest issue is motivation right now, but I'm still doing at least some small stuff each week. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the quantum paint, The Awlgrip's lack of repairability has me worried.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 am

Very nice!

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:10 am

Motivation is something I suffered from for the past 6 months but I am back in the groove and excited to get my FS17 finished. You are not that far off either so when the mood strikes, hit it hard and get her done. You have a lot more complexity in your build but it should be real good for you when finished.
Regards
Tom

Salty F17
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salty F17 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Very nice indeed
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks guys. Even fairly rough glass looks decent once it's all one color.

I'm working on the motivation thing, lol. That being said my summer allergies kicked in this last week so I'm fighting sneezing while trying to work too. It's all good though as I did get some work done.

I finalized a plan for the live well hatch and console hatch. These don't need drains, but did provide a challenge because the gutters provided a recess for the nuts and washers on the backside of the hinge. I think I worked it out.

Live well

Live well edge routed

The console door. The right side, hinge side obviously, is deeper for a reason.

I decided I wanted to add a gasket to this hatch to keep any small amounts of water out during rain or washings. The hinges were the issue. I cut 2 holes for a recess for the nuts on the backside. I'll bond filler parts on the backside. You can see the holes in the picture below of the parts being bonded.

I also glassed the bottom side of the console seat so I can bond it down soon.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:25 pm

Very nice work. Silentneko!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:46 am

Very nice indeed! I like the way you explain issues you encounter and your solutions to over come them so we all can learn from them.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne