FS14 Tiller Console

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
The Chironex
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14 Tiller Console

Post by The Chironex » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Zac here; New builder and new to the forum. Located down here in Winter Garden, FL. I’ve been talking to Jeff back and forth via email on which route I wanted to go for my small family. We decided on the FS14 kit. Looking forward to getting that on order here in the next month or so.

I’ve been tossing around ideas on the interior and I’ve looked at a few other builds and I think I’ve got it figured out.

I used the stock layout of the FS14 as a template and put my own spin on it.

Brown is seating/laying/leaning post.

I plan to have a larger lay out seat in the front of the console with a cooler below and a seat topper. Console will have 4 rod holders, 2 on each side. Grab bar on the back for me to hold on to. GPS/Fish finder up top and battery in the console.

Front will be a flip up storage with a removable seat pad. Anchor closet to the way front.

Rear will have a lean post for me to drive with a flip up bench seat behind it for my wife to lay out; Removable cushion as well. Under will have the gas tank as well as other storage.

Planning on running a 6gal tank with a 25hp tiller w extention.

Mainly it will just be my wife, son and myself. On occasion I may have 1 or 2 adults or smaller kids.

Any thoughts or opinions would be great. I’m a newbie to boats but not to woodworking.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
37C09CC2-AADA-4F00-8E90-53318229E888.jpeg
37C09CC2-AADA-4F00-8E90-53318229E888.jpeg (23.48 KiB) Viewed 220 times

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Tiller Console

Post by narfi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 pm

the FS14 is a real popular boat here, I don't think you can go wrong with your plan.
One thought though, boys only get bigger, have you looked at the fs17 as well? That is what I ended up choosing with primairily just my wife and son planned but knowing there is always going to be extras around, and they only get bigger over time. (I seem to have the same problem :/ )

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Think of the stiffness of the sides if you remove the frames. You need minimum one small frame about in the middle. If you added a gunwale, that frame would not be in the way. With all that customization, I tend to agree with Narfi: the FS17 has a standard layout close to what you show and would not cost much more to build.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

The Chironex
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by The Chironex » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:17 pm
Think of the stiffness of the sides if you remove the frames. You need minimum one small frame about in the middle. If you added a gunwale, that frame would not be in the way. With all that customization, I tend to agree with Narfi: the FS17 has a standard layout close to what you show and would not cost much more to build.

narfi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 pm
the FS14 is a real popular boat here, I don't think you can go wrong with your plan.
One thought though, boys only get bigger, have you looked at the fs17 as well? That is what I ended up choosing with primairily just my wife and son planned but knowing there is always going to be extras around, and they only get bigger over time. (I seem to have the same problem :/ )

I wanted to go with a larger boat but a FS17 wouldn’t fit. 16’ would but it would be tight. FS16 doesn’t exist I’m afraid :cry: ha.

I’d keep the frame rail on the sides where the middle bench seat was and I’d add a smaller gunwale.

As much as I’d like to go with a FS17 I don’t have the space unfortunately. I live in a community with an annoying HOA... it’s got to fit in a standard 19’ garage.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Sorry about the HOA.
In that case, copy the gunwales used on the FS17 or use thick rubrails and small tapered frames spaced about where the floor frames are. They can be 3" at the bottom and 1" at the top.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

The Chironex
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by The Chironex » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:18 pm
Sorry about the HOA.
In that case, copy the gunwales used on the FS17 or use thick rubrails and small tapered frames spaced about where the floor frames are. They can be 3" at the bottom and 1" at the top.

Definitely annoying and not ideal... but it is what it is.

I was basically going to do exactly what Jmeehan20 did in this build.

viewtopic.php?t=62911&start=80

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Take a look at Repton's FS17...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62380

It might be just the ticket!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 pm

BB Sig wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:44 pm
Take a look at Repton's FS17...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62380

It might be just the ticket!
Yes, a nice looking boat in a garage,

17ft * 90% = roughly 15ft 4in (and 6ft4inwide)

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 pm

A better option might be to build the FS17 as is, and add a removable tongue to the trailer. With the winch stand removed you can easily fit it in a 19' garage. My last boat was 15.5ft and was to small for our family with 2 small kids. The FS17 has a lot more room.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 am

The Chironex wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 pm
jacquesmm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:18 pm
Sorry about the HOA.

Definitely annoying and not ideal... but it is what it is.

I was basically going to do exactly what Jmeehan20 did in this build.

viewtopic.php?t=62911&start=80
Jmeehan20 is a nice build but a FS14 will get small real quick when putting people in it. Draw the shape of the hull in a parking lot with chalk and start putting things where you want them inside the outline. A fold away or removable tongue trailer may be a way to go with the bigger, more four people friendly FS17.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne