C-17 Our first Build !

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C-17 Our first Build !

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:07 am

David516, you are doing great!! Nice progress!! Jeff

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks Jeff !

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Told you it never ends but when you start to feel like dat you're really at the finish line with fairing dust in ya eyes thats why you can't see your almost done :lol: looking smooth tho
You are 100% correct ! I’m glad the fronts done tonight I try to finish the rest. Once I get to the other side it looks a lot better than the first side so I’m hoping it’ll be a bit less work. I’ll find out !

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Had to stop work for three or four days to get some necessary things done however I started again two days ago. The advice I received to build up the area with wood flower is excellent I started on the other side, that’s the left side and I think I’m pretty well finished with the right side. It’s actually starting to look very good I’ll know more when I finish sanding it but other than a small dip in the middle that’s really tiny I think I’m just about done on that side. Thank goodness! Now all week I think I’m clear To continue working. Taking a long time but it’s getting there!

Salty F17
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salty F17 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:37 am

Fairing sucks lol but once u realize the best way to apply it it's starts to get easier
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:03 am

Salty you are absolutely correct fairing sucks !!!
I do think I found a technique that helps me get the faring even. I have been using a flexible sanding board with 40 grit to do the shaping and fix my mistakes and I finish with the random orbital sander 80 grit Just to make sure everything is smooth and even. That seems to be working the best although it’s a little difficult on the arms I’m certain I’ll get used to it. I haven’t lifted for quite a while because of my injury so I lost a lot of muscle mass I’ll be changing that shortly!
I did notice that were the bow curves down toward the flat part of the hull I think I have a bit much of a sharp taper near the Skeg. I will be cutting that down a bit As the V in front came out 1 inch higher than I wanted but I guess that could be considered a good thing in very rough water ( it’s always somewhat rough where we go. If we get a calm day it’s an actually big surprise! ) nonetheless I want a more even transition to the mid and rear sections.

Salty F17
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salty F17 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am

I also like to use the orbital sander but i used 220 grit it really smooths out the hull give the 220 grit a try i think u will be surprised how much smoother it will be over the 80 grit
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:03 pm

Salty F17 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am
I also like to use the orbital sander but i used 220 grit it really smooths out the hull give the 220 grit a try i think u will be surprised how much smoother it will be over the 80 grit
I agree. I do have 220 grit for the orbital sander and also the flexible sanding board. I wanted to wait until I got the shape better so right now I’m using the 80 and the 60 and 40 to shape the bottom flat. I understand the 220 grit is good also before you start priming I don’t know if this is true but I will double check when we’re ready to prime but I still have the sides to put on first so that’s a way off! I also was noticing that the manufacturer of the fiberglass resin System Three stated in a e mail to me That after all the faring is done and all the parts are on before I paint I should be putting several coats of epoxy resin and I’m guessing that I would have to use the 220 grit on that before priming. At least I hope I’m right.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:36 pm

David,

Here is the standard progression of building:
  • Stitch hull
  • Fillet
  • Fiberglass Tape
  • Fiberglass Cloth
  • Fairing compound and sanding
  • Primer (2-3 Coats)
  • Paint
Once you apply the first coat of primer you can go back and add additional fairing compound if you find more imperfections that you want to fix. There is certainly no reason to add more epoxy after you have applied fairing compound. This goes for System Three Epoxy or our MarinEpoxy. Once you have applied all your Primer Coats (System Three Yacht Primer) I would sand through different sandpaper grits in order to get the finish I am looking for (ex: 80 to 120 to 220 to 320 etc...)

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Thank you Reid! That clears things up, However, the more I think about it when I put the upper Sides on I am going to have to tape the corner and there is no fiberglass sheet to put over the tape, So then once that tape is wet out I know there will be an overlap in resin. That’s going to have to be fared Which has me a tiny bit confused because I can smooth out where the tape is but do I have to go the length of the boat with the faring to make everything exactly even or can I taper it down?