ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
User avatar
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Australia

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks for your comments over the past couple of days OQ, Spokaloo, cape man, Fuzz, Rickk, Lee, Jaysen, Jeff, cape man x 2, Rtorres, OQ and Fuzz. Much appreciated! :D

Today and tomorrow was/will be lay days, to allow the antifoul to harden before placing Skiinydip back on her build cradle, then a borrowed trailer for river testing.

In the meantime, I've been pondering Spokaloo's core video spec, which a number of you have supported:
Spokaloo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 am
Video of the wake, the bow wave, from the transom, side, run in shallow and deep water, in a chop, up and down swell.
Just to be clear, Spokaloo and others, are you seeking videos clips along the following lines?:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O88JqIfVyPU[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACJ-JDfEivM[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZgAzAmkvgc[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_D-LilJnMo[/youtube]


Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 4061
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Spokane, Wa
Location: Spokane, Wa
Contact:

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Spokaloo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:06 pm

That’s the general idea.

Tunnel outflow is a key component to how this thing runs. Very curious what it looks like and how it performs. Trim at all speeds, so at rest to wide open and back to idle would give great data, shot from a boat beside you.

Rooster tails or odd spray Is good to catch.

Running in different depths makes a huge difference. A boat will perform substantially differently at planing speeds when in water of less than 2 feet v. 20 ft, or half meter and 7 meters if you’re not stuck in the dark ages here in the Americas.

One of the biggest issues anyone had when Robb White built his iteration of Rescue MInor (which was actually a small version of Little Water, not RM), there was a few still shots and very little at-speed video. It had characteristics that needed to be examined and never had the opportunity, thus everyone went crazy trying to recreate what he had, but with plywood. Problem being, Robb’s boat probably undercut the weight of everything else by 200lbs or better, and that’s HUGE in planing boat performance, especially in this size class.

Just waste as much time shooting video running as possible. Put it up and the appreciation will flow. It will probably help these guys sell a bunch of plans as well.

E

User avatar
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 27111
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:51 pm

Tunnel outflow is a key component to how this thing runs.
Yes.
. The trailing edges must be as sharp as possible for max. speed.
. Despite what I write in the study plans, it looks like weight is not as critical as on a true planing boat. I have been on a boat built from those exact lines (my mix of Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner in epoxy-ply) in Crystal River, Florida. That boat was much heavier than the ST21 or Skinny Dip and it still ran close to the predicted speed. This conflicts with my predictions but there is no reference model for that type of boat. We"ll see.
. Water depth is certainly a factor affecting speed but I wait to see testing results. Normally, the boat will be faster in deep water but some say that there is a ground effect that comes into play at a very shallow depth.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

User avatar
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 pm
Location: Australia

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by BarraMan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:26 am

Spokaloo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:06 pm
That’s the general idea.
Tunnel outflow is a key component to how this thing runs. Very curious what it looks like and how it performs. Trim at all speeds, so at rest to wide open and back to idle would give great data, shot from a boat beside you.
Rooster tails or odd spray Is good to catch.
Running in different depths makes a huge difference. A boat will perform substantially differently at planing speeds when in water of less than 2 feet v. 20 ft, or half meter and 7 meters if you’re not stuck in the dark ages here in the Americas.
One of the biggest issues anyone had when Robb White built his iteration of Rescue MInor (which was actually a small version of Little Water, not RM), there was a few still shots and very little at-speed video. It had characteristics that needed to be examined and never had the opportunity, thus everyone went crazy trying to recreate what he had, but with plywood. Problem being, Robb’s boat probably undercut the weight of everything else by 200lbs or better, and that’s HUGE in planing boat performance, especially in this size class.
Just waste as much time shooting video running as possible. Put it up and the appreciation will flow. It will probably help these guys sell a bunch of plans as well.

E
Stuff all that ! :D

I want to see Glossie and Skinny Dip go play on the Noosa Bar ! :lol:

User avatar
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Australia

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 am

BarraMan wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:26 am
Stuff all that ! :D

I want to see Glossie and Skinny Dip go play on the Noosa Bar ! :lol:
Hey Lee, perhaps if I pick a quiet one like this morning, I can play on the bar and get test run vids for free. :wink:

https://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/noosabar.htm
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

User avatar
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Australia

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 pm

When the cockpit was painted, its aft hatch doors had not been covered with light glass, so they were not painted.

Have been playing catch-up since. The first pic shows the doors unpainted, the second was taken yesterday afternoon.

Image

Image
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Bogieman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 pm

Wow! Very nice

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by MikeyGnz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 am

BarraMan wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:26 am
I want to see Glossie and Skinny Dip go play on the Noosa Bar ! :lol:
If the weather doesn't cooperate a pic of them playing at the bar would suffice

User avatar
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 pm
Location: Australia

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by BarraMan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:06 am

MikeyGnz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 am
BarraMan wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:26 am
I want to see Glossie and Skinny Dip go play on the Noosa Bar ! :lol:
If the weather doesn't cooperate a pic of them playing at the bar would suffice
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by MikeyGnz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:43 pm

BarraMan wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:06 am
MikeyGnz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 am
BarraMan wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:26 am
I want to see Glossie and Skinny Dip go play on the Noosa Bar ! :lol:
If the weather doesn't cooperate a pic of them playing at the bar would suffice
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We really need a drinking smiley

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests