ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jaysen » Sat May 23, 2020 8:24 am

cape man wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:07 am
What? You don't want to get towed by the FBBB?
I bet skinnyd would plane in a completely different way behind FBBB.

Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat May 23, 2020 9:46 am

glossieblack wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:46 am
I find my mind is starting to focus a little more on the e-drive. :lol:
Nope nope nope!!! Wonder back onto the new build!!! :D

Seems there are a few things happening when you changed the tranny and then the prop.

A: More torque to the shaft because of new tranny so more pitch. Went to much pitch so now motor doesn't reach desired WOT rpm. Pitch change.
B: Once the rpm in the correct spot then change out pulleys to match the correct pitch prop. A little math will tell you how much the change the pulley ratio to match the prop...if the e-drive was already programmed to the 1.1 tranny then should just need to do the pulley change and that will keep the original programming for the e-drive.

IF, you are going to work on the e-drive start with what does work, the diesel and get the rpms where you want them and then work on the pulleys. Should correct the overheating of the edrive then.

Sorry, that is my opinion based on drinking coffee and day dreaming! 8O
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun May 24, 2020 4:56 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:46 am
IF, you are going to work on the e-drive start with what does work, the diesel and get the rpms where you want them and then work on the pulleys. Should correct the overheating of the edrive then.
Thanks OQ, and I agree with the approach you've outlined. It's the one I'll take in due course, but I'm in no hurry to return to tweaking Skinnydip's e-drive at this stage.

I'm really enjoying using Skinnydip in diesel mode these beautiful sunny autumn days here in Noosa, and doing more precise woodwork than I've attempted before building Feather Pram. And annual maintenance on Great Sandy awaits, which I always enjoy. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon May 25, 2020 5:24 am

Been plugging away at building the ladder frame and standing the frames for the Feather Pram.

First pic shows the five temporary plywood moulds, the right hand end of the ladder frame bevelled to take the bow ransom, and to the left raked standing posts to take the aft transom.

Enjoying the precision required, and determined to bring her in at 40 lbs. :D

So far, so good. Nothing in the pics will end up as boat. :lol:

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon May 25, 2020 6:54 am

Looking really good.

Without someone standing in the photo there is no reference to size here. Without reference it is hard to tell the size of the thing but it seems your builds are getting smaller. Have you fallen into the shifting baseline syndrome? 8O :D
Reason I brought it up is because it looks like the start of someone building their latest model boat. It all starts by mounting the frames on a strong back.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed May 27, 2020 4:46 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:54 am
Without someone standing in the photo there is no reference to size here.
Both the raw timber ladder-frame and the recycled black steel work-bench frame are 6"8" long, +/- 1". She's a tiddler. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed May 27, 2020 7:47 am

Nice GB!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed May 27, 2020 9:57 am

GB, this is what I am talking about.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Mo ... ORM=IDINTS
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 am

Thanks OQ for pointing me towards a branch of the boatbuilding world I was largely unaware of. Now I'm curious.

If people transporting boats start around 4 to 5' long, how long do amateur club RC model craft run up to?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 am

Thanks OQ for pointing me towards a branch of the boatbuilding world I was largely unaware of. Now I'm curious.

If people transporting boats start around 4 to 5' long, how long do amateur club RC model craft run up to?