ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu May 28, 2020 7:48 am

glossieblack wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 am
If people transporting boats start around 4 to 5' long, how long do amateur club RC model craft run up to?

Depends on the builder and what he/she enjoys. Also depends on if they even want to build to any scale, like the high speed boat guys. They build their boat to just go very fast and some use a two cycle gas motor to push them through the water.
Scale model builders will pick a size they are comfortable with building. Someone like me, I was buying precut kits and building. Then add as much detail as you want. Seen one guy that built a tug that even had a very detailed engine room and it was very complete. Mini pin up girl, hidden by a sliding tool box. Even had a leaking oil control valve that had a rag tied around it, an over flowing bucket under the valve and oil running through the grate into the bilge. Made me to embarrassed to bring my tug out, but they were a great group and I enjoyed hanging out with them. They were called the "South Texas Scale Ship Modelers" or something like that. I was in my 20s and these guys were all retired machinists and boat engineers.

The basic hull is built and you pour time and money into it and add as much as you want. Some times they will spend months just building a very detailed working crane.

There are also those that build ships they can ride in and they control them from inside the vessel. Seen pictures of a cruise ship that needed a large trailer to get it to the marina and it floated like a small ship against a full size dock.

It is a very popular hobby in your country.

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu May 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Here is a R/C boat show with lots of different size boats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ZbJHFyPjg
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri May 29, 2020 6:24 am

Very interesting thanks OQ. I had no idea the RC model world was so extensive, nor the attention to detail so impressive. 8)

I spent this afternoon fine tuning the alignment of the Feather Pram's moulds on the build ladder frame, getting each plumb, accurately spaces, braced, etc. Only fractions of inches involved here and there, so nothing photo worthy.

I also neat-epoxy sealed the internal faces of the layers of plywood that will be laminated together to form the stern and bow transoms.

The first pic shows the layers of the stern transom, the second the bow one. The two internal faces of each will be laminated together by coating their mating surfaces with thickened epoxy glue, folding them together, and clamping them to cure.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri May 29, 2020 7:21 am

Nice work GB!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri May 29, 2020 8:27 am

I can understand the transom being flat but is the bow also flat or blunt?

Speaking of detail, your little boat seems to need a lot of detailed measurements and cuts!! It is very exciting to see the progress!!
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat May 30, 2020 6:15 am

This afternoon I installed the bow and stern transoms as the end moulds on the building frame.
OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:27 am
I can understand the transom being flat but is the bow also flat or blunt?
The bow transom has a reasonably pronounced rake, the stern transom a subtle one. Both float a little above the designed water line.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sat May 30, 2020 6:19 am

Assuming you cut the planks well, it looks like that little girl should go together quickly.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat May 30, 2020 7:37 am

The flatness makes sense. If it doesn't add the displacement, it's not needed for the extra weight. A blunt, angled bow would provide more lift when hit by a wave. Easy way to save weight and keep it small. The little boat makes more and more sense every new part added!!
A. A. Milne