FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
CpnCrunch
New Poster
New Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by CpnCrunch » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 am

I was leafing through Wouter's PH18 build yesterday and he used a mix of silicon and corn starch to make a negative mold... I think it might work for your application... it would be supple enough to get the hinges out without breaking...

Will someday start a PH18...

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Narfi I had done most of mine with a router and a guide. Worked great but the rounded ends did not match with my router bit so a small gap. Then I decided to do it again with a little more recess so I could seal it with 4oz cloth. But then my frames and hatches did not fit exactly with my hinges in place, the extra clearance was off causing some of the hinges to be cocked a little.

Then the ones I craved, I pull the first ply off one of them due to the angle I had to chip away at the wood. The handles of my chisels would hit the frame and I could not control them as easy.

I will know later today how this will turn out.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:16 pm

How did it turn out? :doh:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 pm

The molds worked very well but I am a little nervous on using them. The idea add epoxy putty, lay down 4 oz glass to fill in the gaps and to seal everything around the hinges. Wet out the glass and then press the hinge molds in. A little sanding and fairing and all is done. Tape off the hinge areas and glass the decks. That is what I envision. My OCD is fighting with me on just doing it or not. My OCD is saying it needs more precision adjustments to the mold. All of the rest of me is saying to just do it.

We have to high of flow rates to rent boats so I have the time. But this week I should know if I get a bonus to buy my motor or not, so that doesn't help either.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 am

Just do it! I suffer from over thinking things before doing it except for my speech from my mouth! 8O I gotta work on both things! :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 am

i too am one of those that what to be just as surprised as everyone else and just start talking to see what comes out! 8O

If it takes another year to get the motor I may just mount the 5hp on it to use the dang thing, so the goal is to get it ready no matter what. But to work on it I need to be more at peace. A lot of political crap here in Houston right now that could close our doors without cause.

Just got permission to run, from the managers of the park our only venue is allowed to operate, as long as we can do so under CDC guidelines. Which we can but flow rates are still to high and the weather is unstable, so a lot is going against the company right now.
A. A. Milne

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 am

Knee jerk politicians are to blame. I think there needs to be a law stating that "for each new law/rule, you must remove two from the books that are not constitutional" would benefit us in the long run! :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Well, I didn't like the way the first mold turned out so I started over with a new mold. This time I used tongue depressor sticks to keep the hinge molds level with the hatch frames. I like them better. I make 6 at a time and I need 14 so I made a few extra. Here they are still curing.

About 20minutes I pop them out, separate them on the band saw and they are ready for use. The stick side doesn't have to look nice and all the over hang keeps the mold at the correct depth.
Test fitted to all the recesses and then glue up. Image of foredeck hatches.
Glossie, see the squeeze out? :lol: :lol: :lol: zero magnification! :lol: :lol:

There was no time for neatness here, even with slow hardener (100+° in the warehouse) about half way doing all 14 hinge molds I could feel the pot starting to warm up.

They will set over night and if all goes as "planned" the molds pop right out, a little cutting the hatch loose at the hinge pivot and with a little flush sanding and I can lay the glass.

NOTE TO SELF: things never go as planned! 8O
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Interesting... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:23 am

It did not go as the plans were intended. lot of empty places under the molds that just didn't get enough putty in them, even though there was a lot of squeeze out. I think air was trapped under some of them. Even the ones that turned out perfect were to small, the hinge would not fit in the recess. Inlays are not in MY wheel house and that was the last attempt on this build. I am going to make the recesses flat and just bolt the hinges on top of them. Even with the hinges flush the barrel would still be sticking up a little, so, the hell with it.
A. A. Milne