knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

Post by gk108 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 am

The Star Trek font is appropriate. All of those switches and panels are going to make it look like the bridge of the Enterprise. I do like a well equipped boat, though. :D

You almost have enough room to install a compact washer/drier combo unit like this:
http://www.compactappliance.com/HWD1000 ... her_Dryers
Big problem with it is weight. That one weighs 181 lbs!

CC, D15, V10

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:51 am

GK I don't think he has to worry about weight with a 9750lb full displacement weight. But he may need Craig's hatch to fit everything in. :lol:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Geeeeez guys. Don't friggin' show her that for gawds sake!!! :roll:

She absolutely positively refuses to let me put in anything but a propane stove with an oven. That's gonna set me back at least a another grand!!! :?
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Rick,

You and I are polar opposites when it comes to outfitting this boat - You don't think that you're overdoing it? I guess that our differences come down to planned use and length of time off shore which for me is a maximum of three days more often than not just two.

My thoughts fitting this out, no shower, no real h2o holding tanks i.e. hand pumps plumbed into 5 gallon jugs in the head and galley, the bare minimum of electrical with the exception of navigation. Engine driven bildge pump, possibly a refigerator, more likely an ice box. It will live on a mooring so no need for AC.

I want it to be super simple while I'm out there. A few redundencies like fuel filtering and batteries. I grew up with all this stuff on bigger boats and found that most of it we never used.. Not criticising, just discussion.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:59 pm

TW28RJ wrote:Not criticising, just discussion.
I know RJ. You've said that before. This will be our retirement boat and hopefully it'll carry us many thousands of nautical miles around NA. There isn't much that you'd call luxuries onboard. A hot shower once in awhile, yup. Hot food, yup. The equipment list was based on our existing boat and the systems it has. Not much more is different.

We're now the proud owners of a Yanmar 4-JHTE 50 HP diesel engine. One more piece of the puzzle solved. 8)
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Knottybuoyz wrote:We're now the proud owners of a Yanmar 4-JHTE 50 HP diesel engine. One more piece of the puzzle solved. 8)
Congrats! :)

... wouldn't you know it, it comes on the day they announce successful cold fusion that can produce a kilowatt from a single banana skin, and produces water, and diesel fuel, as a waste. :P

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:04 pm

Good to see that you picked up and engine! What made you go with Yanmar? I thought that you were looking at a rebuilt perkins.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:18 pm

TW28RJ wrote:Good to see that you picked up and engine! What made you go with Yanmar? I thought that you were looking at a rebuilt perkins.
The perkins sold before I could get my hands on it. The Yanmar was in the price range, low hours (675), complete with transmission, water lift muffler, exhaust hose, strainer, shut off cable/lever, anti-siphon valve, panel, wiring, tool kit and all the manuals. $3K US. not really a deal I could let pass me by. Just have to drive to Portsmouth RI to pick it up so the Admiral and I are taking a week off to do that and some other boat part shopping/sight seeing.
ks8 wrote:... wouldn't you know it, it comes on the day they announce successful cold fusion that can produce a kilowatt from a single banana skin, and produces water, and diesel fuel, as a waste. :P
Ok KS, now you're just teasin' me eh? :wink:
Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:00 pm

This is one of the aspects of the process I totally haven't come to grips with yet, the waste. A lot of material goes in the gash.

I couldn't wait and pulled it off the tooling surface (malamine). Results were not quite what I expected, little rough in some areas and the layup looks a little dry. Too much vacuum maybe. I would have gotten a better surface on the Texalium if I had layed it up upside down on glass. Might try that next.

Sorry about the crappy close up. Cheapo camera, this was the best I could get.

Obviously I haven't perfected my technique yet but I'll get there eventually. The process as a whole has a lot of advantages, too many to go into here and a few drawbacks such as the waste mentioned earlier. Controlling the vacuum is key. I use an automated setup if anyone's interested I'll document that if you like.

I don't know if this piece will work. I read the instructions for the core mat "after" I infused the part. It said "Not Compatible with Epoxy"! Duh! It likely won't bond or won't bond well enough. I did get the thickness I was looking for, well pretty close, was looking for 0.125" and got 0.133".

Oh well lessons learned onto the next one.
Yours Aye! Rick

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Congrats on the engine. Have a nice safe trip to RI. All the goodies are starting to add up here for my boat man didn't realize how much stuff went on a boat till I started ordering. :help:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy