knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

Post by Jaysen » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Wait... I hadn't thought about "build a boat" as a valid "drink more rum" causal. I've had to rely on work stress to justify my consumption. I need to make sure "reason to drink rum" is in the pro column ...

Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:39 am

Had to take a few days off to rest the hands. They're still a bit sore but pushing through it. The Rum doesn't seem to be helping anymore! :cry:

Spent a few hours on the sanders this morning feather fabric egdes etc. to get the box keel ready for the next layer of glass.

Much lighter material but just has hard to work with. The slightest touch and it wrinkles. No way to get it into shape until you're wetting it out and letting the squeegee get it to where you want it to go. That'll happen tomorrow.

Standby...
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 am

Ha, keel box blues :roll:
My second layer was 200g twill fg. Like silk, it wrinkles, threads tend to stuck, it loves making bubbles... Grrrrr. Easy to wet though and even easier to sand. This weekend I'm starting with 3rd layer (450g biax). Maybe I'll for first time use peel ply to avoid sanding and hurry with last ply (again 200g twill). Next week going to purchase engine.
Rick, just keep making sanding movies. They are better than Warhol's and he got rich :lol:
Cheers,
Dario

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:17 pm

Corto Maltese wrote:Ha, keel box blues :roll:
Someone should make that into a Country & Western song! :lol:
Corto Maltese wrote:My second layer was 200g twill fg. Like silk, it wrinkles, threads tend to stuck, it loves making bubbles... Grrrrr. Easy to wet though and even easier to sand. This weekend I'm starting with 3rd layer (450g biax). Maybe I'll for first time use peel ply to avoid sanding and hurry with last ply (again 200g twill). Next week going to purchase engine.
Good luck with the engine purchase. I just ordered the finishing cloth, plain weave. Last stuff I had was a 'satin weave'. It was nice to work with but yes, plenty of bubbles to be squeegeed out.
Corto Maltese wrote:Rick, just keep making sanding movies. They are better than Warhol's and he got rich :lol:
Oh I dunno if there's 'mass appeal' there Dario! 8O Maybe for a horror movie.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers!
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:06 am

3 hours
1-1/2 gal epoxy

Standby...
Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:39 am

Three hours of sanding is all I had in me today. Worked on the bow section and down the sides.

That was after about 2 hours sanding. I know not much to show for 3 hrs labor. :roll: Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/peel ... nding.html

Takin' tomorrow off to go plinkin'!

Standby...
Yours Aye! Rick

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:10 pm

looking at your pics on the site it looks like you are using a 6 inch DA air powered sander ans your primary "first pass sander" and since you have a compressor in the shop id like to suggest getting an 8 inch rotational sander.. its what the pros use for the first pass doing bodywork and knocking down the filler.. it removes material 6-8 times faster and once you get the hang of it it leaves a really straight surface .. my buddy who taught me car paint prep called his 8 inch rotational sandet the mud hog.. and it really was a huge time saver..
alternatively you could use 8 inch velcro sanding discs on a electric polishing machine ... it seems you are spending a lot of time rough sanding non essential areas that could be spent drinking beer and enjoying a more efficient sander... just saying :D

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Do ya mean something like this?

That's an 8" High Speed Spinning Wheel of Death! I use it for knocking down the fabric edges etc. I'd get an 8" air sander but I don't think my rig will produce enough air to run it. The 6" is ok for just keying the glass for the next layer. I also use the 2" flappy wheels on my die grinder on fabric edges which works really well.

I do have an 8" car polisher but it's too much for me to hold onto with the carpal tunnel thing happening.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll keep my eyes open for one.
Yours Aye! Rick

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:02 pm

I have an 8 inch sander/polisher that spins 0-3000 RPM. With a 8 inch 3M 36 grit green disk it will flat out eat fully cured glass. You need to be fully prepared for grinding dust but it is the fastest thing I have found for rough sanding.
Fuzz

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:13 pm

I should of added that being able to run the sander at 1500 RPM or less makes it much more controllable. It seems to me that the higher RPMs tend to burn the glass and the slower speeds cut it. If the glass is not fully cured it will just gum up your disk.
Fuzz