OB-15 virtually complete in Spring, TX

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

OB-15 virtually complete in Spring, TX

Post by AdamG » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:56 am

The build I started last May is finally complete, except for the wiring for my sonar. I tested the electrical panel installation today for the first time, and it worked perfectly. Nothing like doing it right the first time. I'll have pics up soon. I rather like how it turned out. Now to wait for the rain to stop, some minor adjustments to the outboard position on the transom and my steering setup, and the replacement prop shaft seal for my Yamaha, and I'm ready to rumble.

pics to follow.

Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:01 am

I really would like to see the pics. I want to build the OB18 in the near future

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:32 pm

Building an OB15 is quite a responsibility -- all of them are good looking. Pics?

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:50 pm

ADAM, you did a fine job brother, a fine job :!:

I like everything about it 8)

If I could offer one piece of advice, being our
trailers are similar in shape and set up. Those
side boats like mine will scuff your side paint,
mine is all screwed up. Cross wind at a ramp
people putting you in a rush. Just be careful.
Or you could put another layer of carpet on
those boards may help.

I'll be going to PVC sooner or later, oh and
it really makes it hard to wash.

THAT THING IS FINE, AND YOU DID IT SO
COVERT LIKE 8)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:26 pm

Very sharp. A good looking boat you built :D

Joel

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Adam,

Looks really nice. I am finishing up my OB 15 as well. I would be interested in how it runs with the 25hp. I have a 55 but I think it is to much. Great job.

Jim (DAYTRIP)

bredstein
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bredstein » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi Adam,

very good looking boat! I was thinking a lot recently about colors, and your nice boat seems to be a last drop - now I know how to paint my FL14! Thank you for this great sample. BTW, what lake is it on one of the pictures from your album? I liked it very much, and if it is not so far from me (Austin), I would like to try it one day!
Best,
Andrey
FL14

AdamG
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AdamG » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:32 pm

Yep, I still need to varnish the wood rubrials to protect the epoxy from UV, but it says to wait 2 weeks between epoxy cure and varnishing on the S3 varnish can. I have a quart of s3 blue, but once I got the white painted, I decided against any accents or changes for the time being. That, and the white is much much much cooler in the sun. The varnished rubrail gives it that classic looking accent, and shows off the meranti, which is actually a pretty woodm when soaked in epoxy. I threw some interlux paint texture in the second later of topcoat (too much at first), so the decks, floors and gunwales are no-slip. I taped off the edges around the hatches and some of the hardware so the texture didnt get applied there. I have to owe the simple color scheme idea to several other boats i've seen here with all white and a varnished rubrail..it really comes out nicely. If you get in close, the finish on the console and the inside of the hull and floors is a little rough, but its a fishing boat, and I figure rougher finish is as good as no-slip texture...and less sanding too.. I can't wait to splash it, but it'll be a while..got a trip to colorado planned, and gas prices will prevent me from splashing it there, even though it is a light tow.

I don't think 55 is giong to be too much for this boat. I've seen somewhat heavier hulls that were only a tiny bit loner and beamier with 70s and 90's on them. I'd just ease off on the throttle a bit with a light load. I have no idea what a 25 will do on it, but if I get over 20MPH I will be happy, and 25 would be great. With the right prop and reasonable load, it should be possible.
Adam G
GF-12 May 2004
OB-15 July 2006

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:50 am

Congratulations!

Nice boat. 8)

Jerry
Fishing from a paddle boat...

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:17 am

Here is Adam's gallery...

http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=11815

Great job Adam! :)