XF 20 Project Finally Started

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

XF 20 Project Finally Started

Post by redstalker » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:50 am

Well it's been two months of studying and here I go. Just got the core materials today, thanks Joel for your assistance and I must say great job on the Sport, you guys have to see it first hand to appreciate what they have done again great job... :D
Last edited by redstalker on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

There's nothing like the smell of Low-tide....

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:28 am

Nice to meet you also. I guess we will see you again when the hull is stitched up.

Joel

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:57 pm

shine wrote:Nice to meet you also. I guess we will see you again when the hull is stitched up.

Joel
yes you will, should be by next week to pick up some epoxy/material for the butt jionts...

Thanks for your reply's.....

Travis
Last edited by redstalker on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:09 am

trying to get pics up, having errors with cam....

so far I got all pannels/bottom cut and joined, ready for some stitch'n. The 2:1 marine epoxy at Bateau is a breeze to work with 2 THUMBS UP, no waste as of yet. I am using two basic plastic drinking cups (as in the how to's). I measured 1 inch from the bottom for the hardener and 2 inches for the resin this mix seems to be perfect for the butt joints no waste no rush....

got the plattform built tonight and will have stringers lined up and ready by Wed... getting the itch to get this thing shaped into a boat, I would highly recommend to anyone thinking of building a boat to do their homework, all the long hours on this site studying has paid off, this is the easiest boat I have ever built hands down hats off to the designers..... see you Wednesday hopefully with pics.... lol

Travis

gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gpratt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:48 am

Red

If the cups you're using have a taper on the side your mix won't be exactly 2:1 by marking as stated in your post. I think the epoxy will work OK with the mix on the resin rich side but you may run out of resin and have hardener left over somewhere down the road in your building process. Not a big deal if you only use a gallon or 2 but it can add over time.

I usually measure out 1 unit water and pour it in the hardener container and mark the side then 2 units of water in the resin container and mark the side. This keep the 2:1 ratio accurate.

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:56 am

you are right, I did measure that way I marked a 1" line for the hardener and filled twice with water and marked the resin cup, it came out about the same, thanks for the input.....

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 pm

redstalker wrote: yes you will, should be by next week to pick up some epoxy/material for t

As I was putting the sections together tonight I noticed I left a 2' section off a side pannel transom end, I would like to know if it would be ok to butt-joint this back together? It would make a butt-joint within 2' from the transom cut at the angle of the transom..... is this ok to do would there be a strenght issue?
I can extend the knee's on the transom if necessary just don't want to blow a sheet of ply....
Travis
You can get away with making a butt joint there but for the 30 or so bux you'll spend on re-doing it right will be worth the peace of mind plus you'll save on the labor of dealing with these joints.

Do it right the 1st time

Hunch

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:47 pm

That's very good advice.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:38 am

Hunch, thanks advice taken....

Ok I got the stand built and stringers mounted square and solid as well as the hull stitched... boy is it big lol wife says I am over my line in the 2 car garage....

I have a question maybe stupid but I noticed a sag down the sides from stern to bow,

Is this normal from the weight of the side pannels?
When I laid a level across it there was about .75 to 1" gap on each side (chine) and it look like it has a hump in the center line.... I have the bow blocked as instructed and stringers are in the right position double checked everything.... :doh:

I am ready to epoxy, but wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong before I epoxy/glue.....

Thanks for your responses in advance, I have been taking pics as I go tried to load and computer went wacko... found the cord for the cam was shorted anyway getting new cord and will have pics hopefully soon...

Travis

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:45 pm

got all outside filet's shaped with a hand shaper and sander and glassed today, (I am a bit shakey on the glass it's been a while)I forgot how much fun the glass was lol, going to finish up the tunnel and flip it over to start on the inside.

I have noticed that some builders instal the rubrail after the flip, Is this ok? I don't have the material for the rubrail right now, or should I wait....

over all the build is going well, I am a little concerned about those 20+' of 50" glass any tips would be appreciated ...

got to get back to work only one more day off, sorry about pics they will be comming soon so you guys can tell me if I am doing this right ... had to order cord for cam....

Redstalker