XF 20 Project Finally Started

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:30 pm

ok I have a bit of a problem i will post a pic to see if anyone can help, I have posted this in the repairs section and JM, Tom, and gpratt have been patiently working with me to correct it, so sorry about the lack of updates.

thank you for your patience in advance any suggestions are welcome...

what I had when I did the flip at frame D..

something moved during the set up

After I trued up the side pannels...

There's nothing like the smell of Low-tide....

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:54 am

Is your hull glassed or just taped??? If it is not glassed you will find that the shape is not permanate untill rubrails... the rails really shur up the hull.... will the panel easily bend to the frame.... if so get a screw in there to hold shape untill rub rails are on... you will find that after they are there when you remove the screw the shape will not change...
Bob

*** you emailed me a while back asking if I had got your previous email, I have no idea what you where talking about..... email me again if you need to***
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

L B Lee
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by L B Lee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:43 am

I had the same problem with my xf20, make sure your frames are correct measurements and in the correct position. I think there was only one frame on mine that fit good all the others had gaps on the side and bottom. I plained a little off the bottom ends of the frames and pulled the sides in snug, fillet and taped all around frames. I still had some pretty good gaps here and there but they were easy to fill in.

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:43 pm

Pastor Bob,

Thanks for the input, I was thinking I should have installed the rails first and this propably would have never happened, should have read the building notes better, next one I will know better....

I am going to get more supplies this weekend so I will be on hold till then, I want to try your reccomendation first before I go any further...

The bottom is not glassed only the the seems/chine...

I did email you a while back about some things going on just needed a brothers uplifting..... I will email you shortly sorry about the delay it's all in his time.... been running 90 to nothing the last couple weeks getting ready for season....

Travis

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:49 pm

Lee,

thanks for the confirmation on this issue did you end up with a slight role in your bottom hull, i'm wondering if it will correct itself when I instal the rub rails and the tunnel. I had to pull the sides quite abit, one side was about 2"'s furhter than the other.

I was thinking about just rounding the corner of the mock frame to see if that would close the gap. but I still have the bow outward in the bottom pannel to deal with hopefully the rubrail will pull some of this out along with the stringers... We will see

Better get back to work, thanks again and look forward to further discussions...

Travis

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:58 pm

Since I don't have the plans or building notes this is just speculation...

Why flip the hull if the the bottom hasn't been glassed or the rubrails attached? It seems all the builds that I've seen where the hull is built over an internal jig, that you definitely don't flip the hull until the outside is taped, glassed & the rubrails installed. Most builders will fair out the bottom as well before flipping. (Without having the building notes to refer to) wouldn't it be easier to flip the hull back over and finish the bottom before having to deal with all the issues you're currently experiencing?

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Bob I was just going by what the building notes say, they say to lay out stringers with C frame, attach transom and knees with a few temp screws and stitch side pannels starting from transom to bow, instal bow transom stitch and build fillets, (I left out the rub rails and I think this is were my problems came from) after fillets are built and seams glassed the notes said to flip remove frame and stringers and build inside fillets and glass seams, then instal stringers and tunnel tab and glass complete inside, instal frames glass and flip and glass hole bottom fair paint, then flip and complete inside....

So far I followed everything except the rubrail which is propably a major step.... I think I will be alright I have the sides true and can adjust frames to fit if necessary. I am hoping the stringers will pull the bottom pannel straight :doh: if it ain't perfect I bet she will still catch fish :lol: I just don't want to start with structual problems.....

Thanks for the reply and the information, I hope to get the inside complete over the weekend and into next week....

Travis

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:29 am

I flipped my xf just once. I glassed in my tunnel before I placed the bottom panel over the stringers and strong back. If you're carefull you can glass it in with the hull upside down. The tunnel will be reinforced once the hull is flipped so I would'nt be too fanatical about the structure at this point.

I completely finished and faired the outside of the hull and gave her 2 coats of epoxy primer followed by 3 coats of finish paint, fairing in between coats where needed.

I flipped her onto the trailer and then adjusted and set the bunks to true the hull as best I could before glassing in the stringers and bulkheads.

I don't think Jaques would recommend this method for the novice but it worked for me and saved another beer fest and flippin party. Flippin her once onto the trailer made the boat movable which was important because of the space I built her in. Just be sure your bunks are stable and flat.

hope this helps some

Hunch

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:01 am

hey Hunch thanks for the tip, I was going to try to glass the bottom before the flip, I figured I better get one under the belt first before I tried that LOL... I plan to build another one after this, will propably sale or keep it for the back country.... I did get her straight and true just got the begginers panic LOL...

everything turned out great thanks to the advise giving, going to glass her inside this weekend I hope. I hope to get over and see JM and Joel this Friday to pick ply, glass and epoxy.

I am propably going to get trashed but I think I am going to change the tunnel up a bit to try to create less foam in the prop, the plan is to go 2 foot in from the transom 4 inches high and then slope it to the bottom.... I think this will cause less foam in the tunnel durring a chop may be wrong but it would be something I could adjust later if it don't work.... Trial and error..... after all it's just money LOL......

redstalker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redstalker » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:02 am

hey Hunch thanks for the tip, I was going to try to glass the bottom before the flip, I figured I better get one under the belt first before I tried that LOL... I plan to build another one after this, will propably sale or keep it for the back country.... I did get her straight and true just got the begginers panic LOL...

everything turned out great thanks to the advise giving, going to glass her inside this weekend I hope. I hope to get over and see JM and Joel this Friday to pick ply, glass and epoxy.

I am propably going to get trashed but I think I am going to change the tunnel up a bit to try to create less foam in the prop, the plan is to go 2 foot in from the transom 4 inches high and then slope it to the bottom.... I think this will cause less foam in the tunnel durring a chop may be wrong but it would be something I could adjust later if it don't work.... Trial and error..... after all it's just money LOL......