Foam sandwich option for TW28

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Foam sandwich option for TW28

Post by TW28RJ » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:55 pm

I'm strongly considering building the entire TW28 out of foam sandwhich.

However, before I go down that road, I would like to ask the designer how he would prefer to see his design built?

I understand that the foam core will double the cost of the hull, but that's only a percentage of the whole package. What benefits would I realize building in foam vs. plywood.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:33 pm

Too big a question, sorry. We could write a book about that.
Do a search on this forum and see previous posts about foam sandwich.

Quickly:
Benefits =
- great insulation, a very important point in cruising boats but always overlooked by those have not cruised.
- higher resale value because there is a unjustified prejudice against plywood
- a small gain in hull weight, not much in a 28 footer, means a little bit more capacity.
- hull panels are easier to bend.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:55 pm

My guestimate was about $3K US more for the hull over plywood. Not quite double the cost, closer to 30% more as long as the fiberglass specs stay the same.

We'll stay with the original plywood version as designed. Reasoning, it's a displacement hull anyways and making it lighter is a moot point unless you need more capacity for equip/cargo/food/beer/fish etc. In all likelyhood you'll be adding ballast anyways.

We may use foam in the deckhouse and cabin roof to reduce topside weight with a small improvement in stability and insulation qualities as suggested.
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:08 pm

The fiberglass laminate would increase, not stay the same as the plywood version. So double the cost is accurate.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:20 am

Thanks everyone for your reply. I think that I've convinced myself that foam sandwich is the way I should proceed.

The benefits that Jacques mentioned (quoted below) and the sound absorption properties are more than enough to convince me.
-great insulation, a very important point in cruising boats but always overlooked by those have not cruised.
- higher resale value because there is a unjustified prejudice against plywood
- a small gain in hull weight, not much in a 28 footer, means a little bit more capacity.
- hull panels are easier to bend.
I personally have no problem whatsoever with plywood, but let's face it people of that opinion are in the minority. After I have had a chance to review the fiberglass hull scantlings I may reconsider the plywood option.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:36 am

RJ

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you back my MS Excel spreadsheet for the TW28. It's got a lot of links to suppliers etc. that I've found with the best prices. It's a good planning tool for your project.

knottybuoyzii (at) personainternet.com

Rick
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:28 am

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you back my MS Excel spreadsheet for the TW28. It's got a lot of links to suppliers etc. that I've found with the best prices. It's a good planning tool for your project.

Hey Rick, thanks for offering the spreadsheet it would be very helpful at this point in the project. I have in fact emailed you a couple of times, but I'm not sure if I got the address right. So here's mine -(Ron.Johnson@ideas4eng.com)

I received the composite samples I had ordered last week and needless to say I'm very impressed with the divinycell. The foam sandwich is definately the way I want to proceed.

I requested the fiberglass hull scantlings from Jacques and it will be interesting to see what they look like when I get them.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:11 am

Files sent Ron.

Let me know if you get them.

New SPAM filter at home works too well sometimes.

Rick
Yours Aye! Rick

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:24 am

I got them thanks!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:36 pm

I wrote the foam sandwich scantlings last year, edited the building notes but we are still printing the old file!

I'll work on it and will send you a copy by email.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com