Little Hickman Sea Sled

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Little Hickman Sea Sled

Post by terrulian » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:30 am

Fun color indeed. And the upside of a bright paint job is that SAR will have an easier time finding you. :lol:

Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:30 pm

You might not be real happy with the paint job but it sure looks good to me. :D I painted my OD-18 Kelly Green at my daughters request so I guess green is the IN color for girls now :lol: I am sure the kids will have a ball with your boat.
Fuzz

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:35 pm

I'm pretty happy with it. Just had to adjust my expectations ahead of time, knowing that I'm not much of a painter.

Where CL and Peter are the fine artists of paint, I'm more of a folk artist, or one of those guys that carve wooden bears out of logs with a chainsaw........ It's not as fancy but gets the job done.

I think an intense color like that works OK on a small boat, it's kind of whimsical, but I sure wouldn't want 21' of it.

I hope never to need SAR to find me, but just in case there is a whole bunch of foam under the sole. I think I could fill this with water, sit in it, and still not sink.
Last edited by Fred in Wisc on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:34 pm

I know what you mean. My heart wanted a much nicer finish on my dory than my hands could produce. Just had to let it go. Boat still catches fish just fine.
Fuzz

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Not a bad color for a small boat.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:46 am

Got the metal parts for the jackplate all drilled last night. No high tech machining here, just scribing lines with a combination square, center punching and drilling on the drill press.

This plate will add about 12 degrees to the transom angle, putting it at a total of 20-21 degrees, a little more slope than typical, but the engine has about 14 degrees of trim adjustment, so I can still get it higher than it currently sits in the "full down" position, which is too high. So I won't lose any useful adjustment range.

It will also provide about 6" of setback, a bit more than I would have liked, but required for clearance.

Ran into one small issue, the aluminum angle isn't actually 90 degrees, it's about 89, so it doesn't quite create parallel surfaces if nested with the L side of the angles both on the same side, so I had to flip the ones mounted to the boat around. Otherwise there will be built in stress and probably more difficult adjustment. I like the look better that way, but function is more important.

Side view, you can see the adjustment slots which allow approx. 2 3/4 of vertical adjustment. It's centered at approx. the current transom height.

Interior view- There is an extra set of holes higher and an extra set lower as well. Each of these gives approx. 1 3/8 of additional adjustment. I don't think I'll need them but it was easy to drill them now and it would be a hassle later.

The piece of wood trim mocking up the outboard mounting board will of course be replaced by a plywood or starboard clamping board. I have to rummage around a bit and see if I have a piece of starboard left somewhere. The clamping board will be held on by 6x 1/4 hardware. I'll round off the square corners and sand the mill finish aluminum so it's nicer looking as well.

The plate fastens to the transom with 4 x 5/16 hardware, the transom is 2" thick at the top and about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 below, so it should be plenty strong. I have to put the top mounting bolts a little close to the top edge than I'd like but it's thick so it should be fine. Gotta predrill and epoxy coat holes.

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Hears "put a lime in a coconut" crooning away. :) Looking good. Anxious to see how the fix works out. Neat little boat.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 am

Jackplate mounted.

I made the clamping board from some 3/4 starboard that was in the scrap bin at work. Had to trim off the holes and such but got a big enough piece. Wish it was white, rather than black, but beggars can't be choosers. I have enough that I might double it up and go 1.5 thick, but I'll see how solid it feels with one layer first. I'd rather not hang any extra weight out behind the transom since the boat already is heavy in back.

I clamped the clamping board to the aluminum and drilled used the holes in the aluminum as guides so the starboard holes line up exactly. That worked well. Then countersunk them so flat head machine screws will be flush. The screws in there now are too long, and will be replaced by proper length ones with nylon locking nuts. It's held on with 6 x 1/4" fasteners.

I then assembled the jackplate, clamped it to the boat with a couple bar clamps. Adjusted it a touch until it was centered within 1/16 and as close to square as possible with the top of the transom. Then drilled right through the jackplate mounting holes to ensure good alignment. Removed the plate and drilled the holes the rest of the way through, the drill chuck hit the clamps on the top ones.

Then coated the inside of the holes with silicone, siliconed the stainless bolts and around each of the holes on the outside, and bolted it together. I know it would have been better to epoxy coat first, let it dry and then silicone seal, but time didn't allow. I was real thorough with the sealing so I don't think it will present a problem.

Used 4x 5/16 stainless bolts with stainless fender washers and nylock nuts to secure the jackplate to the transom.

I rounded the corners on the aluminum parts, but didn't sand and buff them out yet, wanted to do a test run first before messing with that. I'll put a little radius on the edges of the starboard as well.

Hopefully I can get it out on the lake for testing in the next couple of days. I'll have to get my trailer back, though. It's currently pulling couch moving duty for my nephew who just bought his first house. So the boat's on the lawn under a tarp.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Mint! Doublemint! 8)

Trying to remember where I've seen that color before.... oh yea....

:lol:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:15 pm

That looks like something Raymond would have built 8) Very nice. Nothing wrong with that.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose