Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:55 am

Great trip Cape Man!!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 am

cape man wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:45 pm
They are 1 x 1" and just shaped with s sander.
I find it amazing that a 1" x 1" spray rail can make such a difference to comfort. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:52 am

Me too. Cracker Larry was about 3 months ahead of me as we both built our OD18s . Not putting spray rails on in the beginning is one thing I wish I had not mimicked of his work. The thought process was they were ugly and the overlap in the side panels would be enough to send the water out. It was very easy to add them and I was lucky to have the perfect piece of white ash to make them from laying in the barn.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:00 pm

cape man wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:52 am
Me too. Cracker Larry was about 3 months ahead of me as we both built our OD18s . Not putting spray rails on in the beginning is one thing I wish I had not mimicked of his work. The thought process was they were ugly and the overlap in the side panels would be enough to send the water out. It was very easy to add them and I was lucky to have the perfect piece of white ash to make them from laying in the barn.
Through the lens of my aesthetic prejudices, spray rails aft usually look good, forward rarely so. Clara's look great! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Just sitting here thinking about the time you checked out mine and your reaction to them. We were getting cool spray in the face and Craig told me to speed up to get on top of it. At speed the rails did the trick and we had a dry ride. I love a good looking boat but one that works is way better than a super model.

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Happy father's day. Left the ramp just after sunrise and ran about 40 miles to Egmont key and back with my son. Not only was Clara looking good but she ran like a top and burned about 7 gallons of fuel. Tide was dead and the fishing sucked, but we didn't care. So weird sometimes to listen to the young adult versus the little child he was.
20200621_104807.jpg
20200621_104853.jpg
Did have one issue... I took the crappy rubber scupper covers off the boat when I repainted her. There was a bit of water on the deck from when we were swimming, and we pulled the plug when running. Water came in, not out! Need to install some clam shells to create a suction going out. As is the water going by gets forced in.
20200621_151915.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:57 am

Looks like a great day Cape Man!! Clara looks great!!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:08 am

Looks like a great day Cape Man!! Clara looks great!!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:34 pm

Very cool Father's Day. I sure like the idea of that umbrella. When it's folded down but still in its holder can it withstand running at 25 to 30 mph? Is it in a holder or two like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dilwe-Umbrella-A ... 977&sr=8-9

Great pics.
Dougster

cape man

Post by cape man » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Go to August 3rd on page 198 to see how I made the brackets. Found the aluminum pipe in the scrap bin at my friends fab shop. The pole is in two pieces that come apart below the crank. When I want to run I close the umbrella and pull the top part off and just lay it on the deck.