Lung Boy's FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Lung Boy's FS17

Post by steve292 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:45 pm

I sanded with 120, but I had no primer on the bottom of the hull.
50% graphite is to much, I think I did about 30% by volume, stir the living daylights out of it. I found that 3 thin coats gave a good coverage.
Use a foam brush to tip off & you will get a better finish.
Hull looks really good BTW 8)
Steve

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:54 pm

If you want a yacht finish do a guide coat, if you want a workboat finish definitely don't. The guide coat will show every little imperfection and if you're like me you'll feel compelled to fix them all. If you're a glutton for puishment though, I would recommend a bright blue guide coat a la TomW, and sand it off with 60-80 grit. Use a primer instead of topcoat in the rattle can so you don't have to sand and scuff the lows. I just finished rolling on my second and final coat of primer after sanding off my guide coat and fixing the little imperfections. I'll post a pic in my thread later today to show the results. Good luck :D
Aloha

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 pm

LB, if your going for a yacht finish the guide coat is a necessity. Here is what I told Fonda. Get a can of Krylon bright blue 15 min fast drying spray paint. Spray it on so that it speckels the surface and does not leave wide bands. Take your boards with 80 grit after it drys for an hour(just to be sure) and very lightly sand. This will show where the highs are and where the lows are. Go ahead and sand down the highs some with a RO or block sander. Then apply the boards once again. Do this until you have only lows then fill them in. Put on one or two more layers of primer.

I like the bright blue because I think it shows up better than other colors, black is traditional, red is also used, or you can use what ever strikes your fancy, you just have to be able to see it well against the light gray of the primer.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Don't worry about the flys they sand off easy.... :D
Novi 23 finally launched !

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:08 pm

Fellows, I went the guide route. I wanted to get money's worth out of the whole boat building experience.

Sprayed on some Krylon indoor/outdoor oxford blue.

Board sanded. Looks pretty good I think. There a few low spots I might fill in.

Here is the worst low.

Do I need to scuff the lows before filling?

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Do I need to scuff the lows before filling?
Can't hurt, but I will say don't go overboard on sanding them you'd hate to make the lows even lower :help: By the way I like the guide coat alot it makes those lows really stand out. She sure is lookin' good so far. :D

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. » Fri May 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Shoot me an email if you need an extra hand, when it comes time to flip her. I'm happy to help, and just down the road.

I've driven by a couple of times and admired your work from the comfort of my car. Keep up the good work!

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster » Sat May 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Hey Lungboy

That's coming along very nicely. When you think you will be able to flip.

Keep those pictures coming

Bushmaster

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun May 03, 2009 10:42 am

Shoot me an email if you need an extra hand, when it comes time to flip her. I'm happy to help, and just down the road.
Ditto on that from me. Took six of us to easily flip my OD18, but I am glad I had all the help.

Your finish will be much nicer than mine with all the extra work you have put in.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy » Sun May 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks for the comments fellows. Didn't get any work done this weekend. I played all weekend at the Suwannee spring bicycle festival in White Springs, FL. Anyone that wants to come help with the flip is welcome to come on out. I have a birthday coming up on the 15th. Maybe a cookout and flipping party is in order on the 16th. Hopefully I'll have a clearer picture by next weekend. Cheers.