TW28 Rudder

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

TW28 Rudder

Post by TW28RJ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:58 pm

Jacques,

Could you tell me how much clearance there is between the top of the rudder (as designed) and hull.

I'm building the rudder now incorporating a split flange on the shaft above the rudder. Depending how much space I have between the top of the rudder I may have to "let in" the flange into the rudder profile for clearance..

zumsel
New Poster
New Poster

Re: TW28 Rudder

Post by zumsel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:57 am

TW28RJ wrote:Jacques,

Could you tell me how much clearance there is between the top of the rudder (as designed) and hull.

I'm building the rudder now incorporating a split flange on the shaft above the rudder. Depending how much space I have between the top of the rudder I may have to "let in" the flange into the rudder profile for clearance..
bump

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:12 am

You have some freedom there, there is not a set clearance.
As designed there is 1-3/4" (45 mm).
Don't make the gap between the blade and the hull too big: 2" max. but not too small either, not <1".. If it is too tight, a line or debris can get caught between the blade and the hull.
Note that I say blade. You can cut a notch in the blade where the coupling goes. That will give you sufficient room.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:49 pm

Got it!

Thanks!!