PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 pm

flyfishingmonk wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:15 pm
Maybe I should do a preemptive strike, and dump the nylon now and go with braid...
Get the use out of it first and then stow it as a spare or to loan to someone that needs it. I get all kinds of line that people leave on our rentals. If it is long enough I keep it all in a crate. Never know when someone just needs some line.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:44 am

You can also look at 8 Brait anchor line , defender and Jamestown both carry it . Excellent anchor line
but not cheap.
Novi 23 finally launched !

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will use this a few times to see how good or bad it is and will then replace it with one of the suggestions from the group.

Thanks!

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:26 am

Here is the progress from the last two or so weeks.

Cleats are now on between the front of the bow and bulkhead B. I had to remove some of the support so the tanks can be taken out in the future if they need to be repaired or replaced, so I beefed up the cleat for additional strength.

Where the support beam terminates at the bow, I added some glass for good measure. Next I will use some thickened epoxy to further bridge the support to the underside of sheer clamp.

The anchor box and battery tray are almost complete, as is the way I intent do tie down these components.

I have one side of the rod end tubes almost done, and need to heat two more pieces of PVC for the other side. Taping one piece of pvc that has been shaped to fit, to a straight piece of pvc, and using a heat gun to bend the straight piece against the piece that already has been shaped, works great. Especially if you keep the straight piece on top and let gravity work for you.

The mahogany with the holes cut at an angle hold the pvc in place against bulkhead A.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 am

Nice Casey!! Great progress!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Looks like two fuel tanks, how much fuel is that puppy going to carry?
Really nice looking work.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks Jeff and Fuzz.

26 gallons total if completely topped off.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Hello Everyone,

Here is the progress on the battery tie downs, and the anchor locker. It is all coming along nicely. I haven't done much work the last month, with how busy work has been. But at least I made some progress today. I met another boat builder in the neighborhood, so that is cool!

There will eventually be three batteries. I plan to make a nice wooden bar that goes over the top of all three to help give even force from the strap. The strap is just for good measure, as the batteries are held from the bottom.

I also epoxied in the post for the horn, and the battery charger. I'll try to get good photos of them.

Next up I have a four more pieces of wood to epoxy for the mechanical tie downs for the battery tray and the anchor box.

I abandoned my original rod tubes, and had completed 6 of them. I purchased more pipe to make the tubes longer, planning to have them extend all the way up in front of bulkhead A. This will give me the ability to hold switch rods without having to break them down. I don't own any but plan to and the original design would only support a fly rod up to say 11 feet.

After that I plan to move toward the completion of the 2 part foam. Once foamed there are still three sole pieces to be epoxied and glassed down. Then I will probably want to do something new so I will probably make headway on the center console, which is about 75% done.

Casey

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:10 am

Fine work, as usual!
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Looking good guy. Casey do you plan to close off that hole between the gas tank compartment and the battery compartment. It absolutely must be done. That is the one sacrosanct rule the USCG and two rules boat building bodies does not allow.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.