PH18 Build in North Dallas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cvincent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by cvincent » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Your are doing excellent work on this build. Your drain idea appears to be a standard setup with self bailing cockpit to scuppers either through the sides or through the transom. If you do place an additional drain from the cockpit into the bilge, your idea of a bilge pump should work fine. On my build I do not plan to drain the cockpit into the bilge area. I will only have the self bailing scuppers and a bilge pump in the bilge as backup, but no direct drain to the bilge. I am not drilling limber holes in my bulkheads, so I don't expect that water will enter the bilge area.

Completed D15, Building PH18

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 am

Casey it's always prudent to have a drain hole going to the bilge so that the bilge pump can pump can handle any excess water. I also recommend a 1500 or 2000 gph pump these pumps are made to professional standards and will last longer and handle a lot of water.

Second do not route your scuppers out the sides. Very, very bad idea, almost guarantees water in the boat. Use drains out the back with scuppers.
Restored Mirror Dingy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Desghn courses.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:45 am

cvincent wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:45 pm
Your are doing excellent work on this build. Your drain idea appears to be a standard setup with self bailing cockpit to scuppers either through the sides or through the transom. If you do place an additional drain from the cockpit into the bilge, your idea of a bilge pump should work fine. On my build I do not plan to drain the cockpit into the bilge area. I will only have the self bailing scuppers and a bilge pump in the bilge as backup, but no direct drain to the bilge. I am not drilling limber holes in my bulkheads, so I don't expect that water will enter the bilge area.
Great feedback, and thank you for the compliment!

I assume with the two part foam and having every box under the sole encased it does seem that the holes that pass to the bilge are maybe unnecessary doesent it.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:59 am

TomW1 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 am
Casey it's always prudent to have a drain hole going to the bilge so that the bilge pump can pump can handle any excess water. I also recommend a 1500 or 2000 gph pump these pumps are made to professional standards and will last longer and handle a lot of water.

Second do not route your scuppers out the sides. Very, very bad idea, almost guarantees water in the boat. Use drains out the back with scuppers.
Hi Tom,

Thank for the reply. I was referring to the drain holes (brass tubes) that go from the cockpit directely to the sides as simply being there in case of an emergency, but other than that always being plugged, and not having a scupper. I figure if I take a lot of water I can always pull the plugs and let it drain and plug them back up, or use a scupper plug which temporarily create a scupper in the brass tube until you pull it back out and plug it again with the regular plug.

Now as for the drain in the floor that I plan to place directely aganist the bulkhead and located behind the center consoul, I am thinking to have it run to the bilge, where there is a Rule 2000 pump with an auto switch.

The light rain and occasional spray water that cimes in I'll let the pump take care of, and the heavy rain or wave over the side I can pull the drain plugs in the cockpit.

Now as for a scupper in the bilge, I was not planning to have one since there is the Ruel 2000 pump and a bilge drain. From some reason I am not fond of scuppers.

This may clear up my plan, which I think works... I think.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:17 am

I made more progress on the rod holders. I have been experimenting with the dowel size, turning it out of mahogany. I tried the one that looks like a spindle, and it does not work as well. Too fat. The knot in the bungee gets in the way. The maple prototype dowel worked well, but it needs to be a little longer so it is easier to grab a hold of and pull it out of the hook. The one in the middle I think will be the ticket.

Mahogany is my favorite dimensional lumber to work with. Softer in density, easy to sand, and looks pretty. Of course it is all going to get painted white. Tomorrow I will clamp, in two groups, there of the hooks together to make sure the curve is perfect by sanding them together. Then they will get drilled and the edges rounded. I cut them about a 1/2 long in length, so I can cut the angle for them to be glued to the hull. I am going to work on a way to reinforce where it glues to the hull as well, and have some ideas in mind.

I also made the hooks, but need to drill them out and round them over. That's the third photo.

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 am

I just got caught up on your build. Wow! I love your attention to detail. Thanks for sharing.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:17 am

Walkers Run wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 am
I just got caught up on your build. Wow! I love your attention to detail. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! It's nice to be making progress again. =)

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:45 pm

I am making some base plates for the rod holder hooks, with 3/8th inch okoume, and will cut the hooks parallel with the sole. I will wait to drill the hole for the bungee until I know the center point between the hook and the base plate.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:35 am

More progress on the rod holders. Rounded edges for the base plates. Drilled holes for the hooks, cut the holes square. Filed the square to match the angle of the hull. Next up I will finish the base plates (5 left to file), and then on to working on the hooks and turning five more dowels.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:44 am

Beautiful work!! Jeff