PH18 Build in North Dallas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 am

All right friends, here is the new cockpit drain design I have been working on. I like how it turned out. Next up I will install a small tray below it with a 1.5 fitting to take the water to the bilge. This drain sets between the two inside stringers.

I routed the drain to only be 1/4 inch tall on the edges, and the rabbit cut is about the same, with the end goal of having the drain grate rest just below the cockpit sole.

On the bottom photo I have used the router to take the edge off of the bottom of the drain grate. On the photo second from the bottom, I am testing the rabbit depth and width before using the router bit on my hand held, since there are several ballbearings to choose from. I cut out the square using a jigsaw against a fence that was clamped down. Once the floor is glued down I will clean up the wood's edges with epoxy and will do a final sand on the drain grate before installing it. It's made of plastic and is easy to work with.

I cut the center of the drain grate out because it has some predrilled holes for screws to fix it to the floor, and I wanted the screw heads to be symmetrical. I will drill and countersink two additional holes, and the grate will be held down by a total of four stainless steel screws. For anyone who wants to use a similar idea, it is a three foot section of NDS 540 Mini Channel Deck Drain Cover, and it comes in other colors. I purchased it on eBay for $16.00.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:47 am

I like these! I may have to copy your work. I'm planning to use an outboard bracket and I'm not sure if I can use scuppers on the transom.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 am

That's a pretty slick setup 8)
Novi 23 finally launched !

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Eric1 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:47 am
I like these! I may have to copy your work. I'm planning to use an outboard bracket and I'm not sure if I can use scuppers on the transom.
topwater wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 am
That's a pretty slick setup 8)
Thanks guys! I just picked up some hose and clamps for the drain, and anticipate the fittings coming in soon (barbed nipple for passing through the bulkhead, bulkhead fitting for the drain. I'll post up more progress as I finish up the drain idea.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

Steven

Post by Steven » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

I like the drains but I'm concerned that when stepped on you might get some separation in the plies in the transition of your rabbet. The lip is not real thick and may flex. If room, I'd glue a block underneath a few inches larger all the way around. They use a pattern bit in the router to cut the drain hole to it's existing size. I'd also glass the rabbit with some 3.25 oz cloth. I will take the 90 at the transition. I get real paranoid about plywood edges as a weak link, especially in cutouts in the sole where there will always be plenty of water.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Steven wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm
I like the drains but I'm concerned that when stepped on you might get some separation in the plies in the transition of your rabbet. The lip is not real thick and may flex. If room, I'd glue a block underneath a few inches larger all the way around. They use a pattern bit in the router to cut the drain hole to it's existing size. I'd also glass the rabbit with some 3.25 oz cloth. I will take the 90 at the transition. I get real paranoid about plywood edges as a weak link, especially in cutouts in the sole where there will always be plenty of water.
Good call Steven!

I'll stiffen it up between the stringers, making the tray that catches the water be the support for the underside.

Casey

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:50 am

Here is some more progress. I cut the slots in the sole for the stainless steel plates that bolt the center console to the hull. I set the plywood that makes up the sole on the brackets themselves to mark where the notches needed to be cut.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:01 am

That console isn't going anywhere! Well Done.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:45 am

Nice console!!! Jeff