Ilker's TW28

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Ilker's TW28

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:42 am

Hey, my name is ilker and I am from Izmir, Turkey

Have been dreaming of building my boat for years but working in differenet countries in automotive projects had delayed my desire. Now I am settled with the request of the governor (my wife) and everything is ready for the big girl to start.

I have purchased the plans for TW28 couple of weeks back and finally I have rented a place to start building. I actually had an office but the rental agreement was due ending this month so I decided to rent a place where I can build and have a little office cube at the same time. So it is the perfect combo, she will always be in front of me and in such a big project that is a must. I will hopefully have loads of time to throw at her.

The place needs some DIY but it will be finished by Wednesday next week and in the meantime I am shopping for Plywood Epoxy etc. I hope to start the Strongback Next Thursday. I just couldn't wait any longer to start my own topic.

I will try to document everystep of it. I currently have personal websites and I already have created my own Gallery dedicated for this build. I will try to update as much as I can. When the first pictures are in, I will post them here as well.

Fingers crossed for a nice long journey. Hope we all enjoy it.

Ilker

PS: Just as an info, since I want her to be mine, I will build her. In Turkey I can get help as labor is cheaper compared to Western countries but I want to bond with her in every step. I will definetely get support since I am related to lots of people in the business but I want to make the build.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:29 pm

Welcome and good luck! I really like the TW28.
since I want her to be mine, I will build her.
That's the way I feel about it too 8)

I'm looking forward to your build documentation and pictures.

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:50 pm

Good luck with your build!

My friends often ask me why I don't just hire some help to build my boat, but as you say, she will be mine so I will build her. And atleast you know it is done right :wink:

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Thanks Guys..
I have been checking your updates every day and it really is an encouragement to follow.

Not the best but need some update my topic 8)

I kind of started my project but than ligtning strikes!! I had to have a minor surgery to remove 3 cyts of my lower back which kept me off work for couple of weeks now. The doc tells that I need a good week or 2 to be able to start working again and I am following his advice.

But in the mean time, the workshop is ready. Plywoods are in, epoxy is in town. At the back you can see 2'*8' hardwoods for strong back use etc..
I am drawing a new nesting drawing since the plywood is 170*220 here so I cannot use the one coming with the plans.

Here is a mess pic (my uncle is moving his office but the his new place is not ready and since I am not working I let him make the mess :D )

Since I have my own website, I added a Gallery under my main directory where I will keep all the pics and documents. Bateau webmasters or our friends in this forum are more than welcome to copy anything they might find useful

http://www.sualtiavi.com/TW28buildblog

The gallery has a subfolder where I document the offers or catologues that I recieve. I have a bible file I call the TW28 BOm where every single spending is going in.

I will hopefully put the new pics very soon.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:35 pm

since I want her to be mine, I will build her.
Same way for me too, like Larry. I guess I could have bought a boat, but so what? Just isn't the point. That TW28 is a study design I have looked at often. Beautiful thing. Big project and one I hope you document often. Real glad you're on board.

Wants to build his own boat too Dougster

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:48 am

Doctors gave ok to go so we started today with the strongback and the jig.
Strongback

My little dog 'Coffee' is checking if we are doing alright.

My friend helping me here...

Jig pics later tonight

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:03 am

Ilker,
Hope your back is OK, you'll need it.
Nice workshop! Have you considered covering/protecting the nice floor before putting up the jig? This might avoid some problems later.
Good luck, keep the pics coming.

Peter
LUS

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 am

Welcome! Great to see a build taking place. Your workshop looks ideal for your large boat. Best of luck with it. Remember to post lots of pics!
Jeremy

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks Guys.

Peter I am now %100 percent but still my friends are giving me a hand just to make sure. The shop floor has been tiled by myself before the project so I have nice flat workground so if anything happens to it, I can fix it since I have spares.

Transom and bow molds are now complete but the pics coming tomorrow as I had to lay them aside. TW28 is a big project and sometimes due to area regulations you have to change your planned steps. I will not put up the jig tomorrow even though it is ready. I will loft the bottom and side panels, cut and join them together and put them aside. If I don't do that now, it will be harder when the jig is taking up most of the interior space. I hope to complete it by this weekend though and I will post the pics of molds and lofting tomorrow.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Nice shop :!: You're off to a good start.