wegcagle's GV-15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: wegcagle's GV-15

Post by colonialc19 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Wow, quite an eventfull past month or so, keep us posted,
hope the flea problem gets fixed, and family can get back to normal,

Daniel, the Fs17 Daniel

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:10 pm

Wow, Will that has been an eventful few weeks. Congrats on the interviews hope you get what you want. Hope you the wife and newborn are fine.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:44 am

Wow, that's a rough month, Will 8O Hope things improve and your interviews work out like you want them too. Bad storms down here lately, on a daily basis. Glad the boat didn't get damaged!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Will that sounds like a fun month - NOT!

Glad the family and boat are OK

plumbertuck
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by plumbertuck » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:33 pm

Hang in there Will ! How are the stripers doing on Clarks hill ?
welcome to the home of the 80 grit rodeo

cape man

Post by cape man » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Will, I missed all of that about the storm, fleas, and job...hope it is over now and things are coming along better.

Couple things if you are still dealing with them...

1) Fleas. Fiprinil. It's what's in many of the top end flea treatments for dogs, but also works real well if sprayed around the perimeter of the home. You can buy it cheaply over the net as Termador, put it in a small sprayer and spray the exterior perimeter of the home and yard. I am totally impressed, and it is safe if applied properly (follow the directions for creating a barrier for ants). We started to use it on our fish farm for Argentine ants where toxicity is a HUGE issue. I now use it at home and we have no fleas (don't have to directly treat the dogs and cats anymore).

Skeg shoe. First, blame Larry for talking you into it, as he talked me into it. :lol: I used a piece of alluminum that I bought at Home Depot. Glued down with epoxy, and screwed down with small stainless screws. Added a small piece of zinc to the trailing edge to help with oxidation. Stainless would of course be better than alluminum, but I was looking at alluminum being a lot better than just the wood, so it is an improvement already. Couldn't justify the $ for stainless.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Stainless would of course be better than alluminum,
Not necessarily in this application. 1/4 aluminum flatbar is tough stuff. More importantly it is more galvanically compatable with the majority of the outboard engine components. Most of the exposed outboard or sterndrive parts are aluminum, with stainless bolts. The zincs on the engine protect the aluminum from current flow between the aluminum casing and the stainless bolts. When you have 2 dissimilar metals, separated by a conductor (sea water) then you have current flow between the 2. The more anodic metal corrodes as the current flows from it. Zinc is more anodic than aluminum. Aluminum is more anodic than stainless. With a stainless shoe, the primary electrical current will flow from the aluminum outboard to the stainless shoe, corroding the aluminum outboard foot prematurely. Of course we would use zincs, but they would corrode very quickly. The progression is zinc, aluminum, stainless.

We lose zinc to aluminum, and we lose aluminum to stainless. And zinc to stainless, obviously. The zincs are sacrificial of course. With too much stainless below the water, and not enough zinc, the aluminum outboard acts like the sacrificial anode and the metal lost from the outboard would go to the stainless skeg shoe. We don't want that :wink: The zincs you and I put on our aluminum skegs protect the skeg from galvanic action with the stainless components of the engine. Since the skeg and the engine housing are equal on the galvanic scale, we have no current flow between them and no corrosion.

Dang that was long winded :roll: Sum it up, with a stainless shoe we'd double or triple our zinc replacements on the engine and if we ever forgot to replace them, the gear case would be the next thing needing replacing.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cape man

Post by cape man » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:20 am

Dang that was long winded
Thought you were KS for a second :lol: :lol:

All good points that reinforce my brilliant decision to use alluminum instead of stainless!!! :wink:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: weg cagle's GV-15

Post by Dog Fish » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 pm

I have used starboard skegs on a few smaller boats, with good results.

cape man

Post by cape man » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:49 pm

I have used starboard skegs on a few smaller boats, with good results.
What did you put on the port side?..... :P :P (Sorry everyone...couldn't help myself).