RonNC's OD16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
RonNc
New Poster
New Poster

Post by RonNc » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:22 pm

yessir I sure did Tuck.Those photo's have been a real help on choosing the wood for sure.Just out of curiousity ,what kind of wood did you use for your stringers on the second OD?

Ron

plumbertuck
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

od 16 stringers

Post by plumbertuck » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:29 pm

I used pine 2"x 6" s, I used them on the first od as well, as I cut that mess apat I found them to be most likely the strongest part, coated well with resin I think they will serve just fine.
I did not have the money to fabricate them from 3/4' ply laminated and cut to shape and length, I believe that may be the best way to go,Cracker Larry and a few other builders have done it and they look top notch.
The OD 16 is built using a little different method than the OD 18,but stringers are stringers,they need to be straight and strong, you are going to have to be able to notch and bore through without completely voiding their strength,
my gut instinct is that the pine 2" x 6" will be fine

Tuck
welcome to the home of the 80 grit rodeo

deedee
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by deedee » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:14 pm

welcome to the board..
the od 16 is a great looking boat and lots of info and pictures here. i used pine for the stringers on my od 18 but i really shopped around to find nice and straight boards. also used okume for the rest of the hull. i'd say if you are half way confident with power tools you should use meranti or okume definitely. the problem with other woods is that you will regret it if you do not encapsulate them with glass and epoxy because of the "cheeeking " . plenty on that here. you will never regret using the okume its nothing short of awesome ,beautiful wood to work with . good luck....
david e.
va. beach, virginia
od18

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:36 am

Some lumber yards carry Southern Yellow Pine or Douglas fir 2x6, if they do use them instead of pine they are a superior wood for boat building. You will still need to coat them with epoxy after installing them. Make sure also that when you install them that the bottom has a good layer of epoxy.

Tom

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

RonNC

Post by cottontop » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:52 am

Welcome aboard Ron. The build will be a very worthy project. Ibuilt the OD18 and am itching to build another boat. The people here are great. I used southern yellow pine 2x6's. I went to as local yard and after going through 80 or so boards found 3 that were nearly knot free. Coat them well with epoxy and any holes you cut in them. The OD is a fantastic boat. Handles extremely well. A little bumpy in chop but rides well. Good luck, Cottontop

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:08 am

Welcome Ron, can't say anymore then whats already been said, listen to these guy's on this forum their a fantastic source of infomation.

My OD-16 has been lots of fun and a great fishing machine, nice choice.

Good luck with your build and post plenty of pictures.

Joe

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:46 am

Welcome Ron,

I'm looking forward to following your build. Good Luck.

Daniel

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:35 pm

I used laminated 3/4 plwood for mine. I just couldn't find any YP or fir that was straight, dry and had a decent grain orientation. Nothing wrong with lumber if you can find good stuff.

RonNc
New Poster
New Poster

Post by RonNc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks again guys

I Think i might have a lead on some Yellow pine!Keep your fingers crossed

Ron

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Welcome! Happy to see another OD16 builder. Feel free to ask anything...I certainly would never have been able to do it without the fantastic crowd here!

For some guideance on what NOT to do..and what works, check out my website:
http://home.comcast.net/~dr_bones/Inshallah

Good luck..and "Keep on building!"