TW28 Samson Post

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

TW28 Samson Post

Post by TW28RJ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:25 am

There aren't any dimensions on the plans for the samson post.. can anyone give me some dimensions? Approximate is okay - A friend of mine who makes furniture want's to make one for me, an offer I find hard to resist!

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: TW28 Samson Post

Post by Knottybuoyz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:04 am

Hey RJ

I know I have some pics elsewhere of other sampson post installations. At the moment this is the only one I can find. It's from an '84 34' Sealord.

You might be able to extrapolate some dimensions from that but I'm guessing it's 3" dia chromed steel. If you're doing yours in hardwood you might have to go larger.

Rick
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/v ... /index.cfm
Here is an article about samson posts, shows a picture of one. I would build it out of a fir 4x4 with a bronze or stainless rod. A cabinet maker could turn out a beauty, nicely shaped and finished. Need to bed it deep and solid.
Daddy

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:47 am

Daddy,

Thanks for the article, we're planning on making it from the same article less the attachment to the keel as the design of the tw28 has it attaching to a bulkhead. We plan on laminating it as opposed to a solid timber that's why I'm curious about the size . 4x4 seems just a tad smaller than i was thinking.