Central Florida Phantom 16 Build ****SPLASHED****

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Central Florida Phantom 16 Build

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:21 am

Looking good!

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:25 pm

The rigging and electrical sure is fun, aint it :!:

Just a thought here. I know that you do a lot of your work in the evenings, mainly due to your job. Coming into these colder months, you may have a desire to crank up some heat in your garage. Several years ago, I was working on a different boat project (using regular polyester resin) and I cranked up the kerosene jet heater. The result was a finished product that never really set up and remained tacky for a long time. I was told by a production boat builder that the fumes from the kerosene mixed with the resin and ruined the reaction. Now, I don't know if epoxy resins would have the same problem, but I figure why chance it again. Like I said, just a thought...take it for what its worth (or not worth) :wink:

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 am

Thanks for the tip, Seth :wink: I have a central air duct vent in my garage that I installed last year that I can open up for about 30 minutes and to brings the winter temps up about 20 degrees. It kills the efficiency of the central air in the house, but I don't leave it open very long. Between that, good insulation and a large electric heater, I can get the garage up to about 68 degrees on those 40 degree nights. I know our friends up north have some real issues with epoxy in the winter months.
Completed: Phantom 16 viewtopic.php?t=19940

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:44 am

Last "winter" when we had a few "cold" days, 40's and 50's, I use my propane tanks from the gas grills with "deer blind" heaters. I believe I was laying up glass on the sponsons at the time. Never had an issue.

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:58 am

Today, I took a break from the fairing and decided to add rod racks under the gunnels. I had a lot of fun with this process, as I had to get creative :lol: Today, I completed one side, tomorrow I will do the other side and glass it all in. Here's the process:

First, I cut a template with holes that I could use as a reference for the second rod rack and bulkheads:

Next, I used a heat gun and a "freshly emptied" wine bottle to flare one end of the PVC conduit. Once the PVC started getting soft, I pressed it into shape with the wine bottle and took the heat away for a couple of minutes. I left the wine bottle pressing on the PVC, while it cooled:

Here's the result:

The PVC pipes were secured by the flared end at one bulkhead and a male threaded end/female bushing at the other bulkhead:

The final step of the evening is I cut out the shape the rod rack template and matched the second one:

The rods fit well:
Last edited by chopperman on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:39 am

Looking good !! I've got to start on my rod locker in the next couple of weeks. I like the flaring method you used. 8)

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:11 am

Rod racks came out real nice :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:00 am

Chopperman,
Your rod tube flaring came out great. Didn't know you could do that with conduit. Thanks.
How long do you heat it with your heat gun, a couple of minutes??
Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

chopperman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chopperman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:50 am

thb wrote:Chopperman,
Your rod tube flaring came out great. Didn't know you could do that with conduit. Thanks.
Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)
Yes, It seemed to be about two minutes, I just kept going around it with the heat about an inch away until it was soft.

LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LSUred » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 am

it really doesn't take long, a couple minutes at most. The conduit will actually start to "burn" on the surface, starts to yellow, and by that time, it's definitely soft enough. I've just experimented with it so far, but I actually touched the lip of the conduit with a steel punch and when it deformed easily, took the heat away and grabbed the wine bottle.

Chopperman: how do you plan to finish that bulkhead face where the rod tubes are? It would seem as though the tubes would be a little proud of the bulkhead, unless you routed them down a bit first?
Lookin good though, keep it up!