Perkins 4.108 as prime mover TW28

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Perkins 4.108 as prime mover TW28

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:27 am

Jacques or Joel

Any thoughts on using a professionally rebuilt Perkins 4.108 as a prime mover for a TW28? I don't have specs handy at the moment but I believe it's considerably heavier than a similar sized (HP) modern Kubota based diesel engine.

Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Perkins 4.108 as prime mover TW28

Post by TW28RJ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:11 am

I looked at the rebuilt perkins. Typically you need to have one to exchange or pay a big premium. I still like the Nani Kubota and Lugger. Lugger actually just opened a distributorship down the street from me. (I specifically mention that so Shine gives me a good quote on the Nani when the time comes) The Lugger L844 is a marinized ISM, similar to Kubota and a tractor engine as well. I don't have any first hand experience with either so my preference is based solely on what I've read and heard from whom I believe are knowageable people.

The weight issue isn't as much of an issue for me as I plan to keep everything else fairly minimul, so it's weight where I want it. If I recall you had planned on putting a lot of extras in yours so weight may be more important to you. And when I say minimul, I'm talking no shower, 5 gallon water jugs under the sink, hand pumps, the smallest possible black water holding I can get away with and only enough "stuff" for a day or two or three.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:17 am

The Perkins 4108 is a very reliable engine and will fit in the TW28.
Be certain it is a good rebuild, not just a coat of paint.
Check oil pressure and smoke.
If the block is good, check the condition of the heat exchanger and exhaust manifold, those are the expensive parts.

The Lugger has glow plugs, I don't like that.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:36 am

Very reputable builder. Probably largest on the east coast of the US.

The things I like about the Perkins is parts are available anywhere. Relatively cheap too with the exception of a few items Jacques mentioned. We recently had friends retire their 4.108 after 15,000 hrs. Two preventative rebuilds with no problems at all. Fresh water use only so the heat exchanger lasted its entire life. The only reason they retired it was the boat was done and headed for the scrap pile. They sold the engine before I could get my hands on it for $2500.

RJ's right, you pay a premium w/o a core. This particular rebuilder w/o core it's $1600 US. Price inc no core charge is $6500 US inc. 2.5 to 1 reduction gear 8* down-angle transmission included.

Starting to get into the more pricey parts purchases now! Building this thing from the inside out is hmmmm? fun and interesting! :wink:
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:08 am

Just out of curiosity, what is the objection to an engine that utilizes glow plugs?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:21 am

TW28RJ wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the objection to an engine that utilizes glow plugs?
The glow plugs need a lot of battery power. Weak battery or cold weather and you can't start anymore.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 am

jacquesmm wrote: or cold weather and you can't start anymore.
Isn't that were the glow plugs are for, to preheat the compression chamber in case of cold weather ?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:49 am

They don't increase the compression. The engines with glow plugs usually have less compression at cold start.
Form the engine design point of view, it shows that the engineers decided to take the glow plug short cut instead of adding a ring.
To compensate for the lack of compression, they need a higher temperature.
Boyle-Marriote: PVT.

Even in warm weather, you need the glows plugs to start them.

Some engines have glow plugs used only in cold weather but that's rare and not the case of the Luger.

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:18 pm

Thank you Jacques... I'm all the wiser for asking the question!