Joe's P19 RE-LAUNCH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Joe's P19

Post by Joe H » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Howdy Joe. I'm curious about the Awlgrip. Catalogs and such have warnings about professional application that make it sound like it's drastically different to apply the paint. Is it really that different?
gk,
Yeah, even on the paint cans it says for professional use only, but I had no issue’s with it, they have their own brand of brush thinner that I used and I used good quality rollers and brush, my wife rolled it on as I was using the brush to feather it out, maybe it was the 2 person application that made it work, I don’t know but it sure laid down nice, looks like it was sprayed on for the majority of it, I would use it again in a minute and I'm no professional!

Joe H

Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 pm

That's good to know. Maybe the warning is there for CYA purposes. :roll:
Or, it could be that you two are a team of professionals, since you got professional results from a paint for professionals. :D
One day I'll have to choose a paint, but there's a lot of sanding and priming and sanding and.... :)
CC, D15, V10

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:30 pm

You sure have built a nice looking boat, Joe. The colors look great with the bright work, too. Very nice, you're about to get there. :D
Hank

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Wow Joe, that is a beautiful P19. That bright work is unbelievable.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks pee wee/mecreature,
More brightwork to come! :)

Here’s the beginning of the live well/bait well

I’m thinking of coating the inside with either white tinted epoxy or I have some leftover interlux topside epoxy paint.

Joe H

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:10 pm

I think that the tinted epoxy would be the best bet. You would never have to worry about having paint bubble and peel from the constant moisture in a baitwell. Just my 2¢.

Your boat is looking awesome! Love the brightwork! Still trying to figure out how/where to incorporate some brightwork on my boat. I have a bunch of beautiful mahogany that is just sitting there waiting to be part of the boat...
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks Mike
All my bright work is mahogany, love the look, you will find a place for it.

I sanded the live well and put one coat of tinted epoxy, did not like the way it covered or should I say didn't cover but I understand it will take a few coats.

Typing on my wife's kindle, this sucks, but it does have spell check well I'm on the forum, my PC doesn't .

Joe H

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 pm

For the areas that I am using tinted (white) epoxy,like the bilge and other hidden areas, I am priming it first with the system 3 high build primer. Then I will give it a couple coats of epoxy to seal it up. In my storage compartments I am going all out with the sterling paint.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Joe H wrote:T

Peter, the last 2 feet at the bow gave me a bit of a fight but with my wife holding it well I put the screws to it got the job done without the heat gun, but you have a little more arc to yours, you may need heat, have you put it on yet?

Joe H
Hi Joe,
I started with the rub rail today, and I found it's very much doable on your own without a helper, only thing that bothers me is some bump's or wave lines, its''s hard to explain, i tried to play with the tightness of the screws, but it seems it doesn't make any difference, did you have the same issue ? and if so does it disappear once set? can't see the issue in your pics. 8)

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:34 am

Peter,
I used a rigid rub rail and didn't have much wave too it at all, what I did notice I took out by playing with the tightness of the screws as you have already tried, I also installed mine upside down, the lip on the rub rail was supposed to be on the bottom but I flipped it over to the top side and that put it in perfect alignment.

I'll try and get pictures when I get home tonight.

Joe H