Joe's P19 RE-LAUNCH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Joe's P19

Post by Cracker Larry » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks Larry, man I sure am gonna miss not seeing you guys down south this year.
Sure going to miss you and Janet also. It won't be the same without yall :-( Are you sure you can't come?

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Your aggressive redesign is a beauty. What are you going to name it? You have got me thinking about my next round with the P19. Since I no longer have to tow down I95, I can open things up a bit to be a better picnic boat. As you point out, also getting rid of that head knocker at frame D would be extra nice. Keep the cards and letters coming, I think you are really onto something.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks Eric,
What's the deal, are you not towing the boat to Maine anymore? Or the other way around?
I plan on building it up with the 1/4 ply as in Jacques plans with my design deviations and then incase it in Mahogany, my brother and brother-in-law are both accomplished wood workers and have some nice ideas, as do I, so it should be interesting to see what we come up with, everything's subject to change at this point but the head banging frame "D" was a no brainer,OUT, we'll keep you posted!

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:22 pm

No more towing Joe. The boat stays in Maine year-round.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't know if Dan is still out there (dlr280z) but I just wanted to say thanks for the Quickfair, George you may remember, Dan sent me the 3 quart kit of Quick fair a couple of years back and I just got around to using it!

For the outside hull I used West System Products for fairing so this was my first experience with Quickfair, I can tell you it's the BEST system I have used yet, went down smooth with no rolling and sanded down much easier then the 410 west system (still sanding though), I managed to cover all the inside corners with one coat before I ran out, gonna need more but what a nice product to work with.

Thanks again.
Joe H

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Fri May 11, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm getting the OD16 Ready to drop in the water, it amazes me how dirty it gets just sitting under a cover all winter, anyway I was almost done scrubbing her down when a storm moved in and I had to pull her in the garage, so OD16 meet P19.
I also installed a scupper on each side of the OD16, I think they look like shit but hopefully they will do their job while she's in the water for the next few months, plus I'm going on the 5th season for the antifouling paint, I don't know how long the antifouling paint is supposed to last but last year it was just fine, hope to get another season without any algae growing on the bottom!

Going night fishing for Walleye tonight with my brother, I hope to have a good report and some pictures for the Anyone Fishing thread.

Joe H

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:09 am

Been doing a little work on the build in between fishing and my real job.

The top of the cabin came out a little narrow, had to re-cut a new peice for it.

Some progress, Tough to make in this heat we all been having!

Heading out to the garage, see if I can mock up a windshield.

Thanks for looking
Joe H

topwater

Post by topwater » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:34 am

Looking good Joe , looks like you nailed that Dyer 29 look 8)
Novi 23 finally launched !

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Joe, how is the new grandbaby doing? Our youngest grandson turned 2 yesterday. We have 3 grandsons. 2- 2yr. old and one nearly 6. I'm planning on retiring in 2 yrs. Looking forward to taking them fishing in the OD18 and starting my new boat. I've finally decided on the "Phantom 22". It will be big enough to carry them and their parents. Your P19 is looking fine. John

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks John and John,

More like the Seaway 21 John, I was suprised how close it is! Thx for the links.

Hey John, the Phantom 22 should do it, and you have a few good examples on the forum here.
What will you do with your OD18? I'll keep my OD 16 and outfit it with a center counsole for the kids use.

These kind of puts a face on the boat.

Joe H